Sunday, October 13, 2013

Spiced Pumpkin & Happy Thanksgiving


I'm wishing all of my Canadian friends a happy Thanksgiving.  Hope your day is filled with family, friends and good food!

This recipe has become a seasonal share with you.  If you haven't tried it yet, you've missed a treat that only comes when fresh pumpkins are in the markets.  On your table, or prettily packaged to take to the host/hostess when you're invited to dinner, this is a winner.

I believe this recipe is from a long, long ago Gourmet.  It's written on a recipe card and there are no notes regarding changing anything but it's possible that I did and, if I did, it worked.  They are delicious!

 

Spiced Pumpkin Balls-from Gourmet?

2 cups pumpkin balls (use the larger end of a melon baller)
1 2/3 cups of sugar
3/4 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
1 cinnamon stick, broken in two
6 whole cloves
6 whole allspice
4 2" strips of lemon peel

Combine all ingredients except the pumpkin in a stainless steel saucepan.  Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer for five minutes. 

Add the pumpkin balls and simmer for fifteen minutes.  

Transfer to a pint jar and pour the liquid over.

Chill at least three hours or up to a week.

ENJOY!

18 comments:

  1. Wow, that sounds good!!!!
    I used to get Gourmet and Bon Appetit, but the magazines all began to stack up unread, so I no longer subsribe. I miss those two. My Mom gives them to me when she is done, but still they stack up, unread. Life is so busy, and the computer has taken the place of much of my reading time.
    Happy day to you.
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now --that looks good. You know me.. I'm all about PUMPKIN this time of year. Have never heard of this one... Thanks for the recipe.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is a pumpkin ball? Scoop out pumpkin w ice cream type scoop?
    Does pumpkin get softened or remain firm? Thx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mona: Use a melon baller, the larger end. The pumpkin remains fairly firm which is desirable.

      Delete
  4. I love spiced peaches, so I am sure i would love the pumpkin balls to... and it looks pretty just to sit out and admire

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the look of this Bonnie..So beautiful..

    Why are pumpkins are squash so hard for my hands to manage..Were they easy to ball?
    What would you serve them with?
    They are just too cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are easy to handle if you can talk your husband into doing it!! I can manage, though. I use a melon baller which is very sturdy. I serve them as a condiment at Thanksgiving and Christmas along with cranberry sauce. I've actually been doing them for thirty years.

      Delete
  6. I love most things pumpkin but I can't even imagine what this would taste like. Is it hard to make the pumpkin balls? Hope you're having a nice weekend and enjoying some fall color!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cool. I've never seen pumpkin balls. Hope you are having a great weekend Bonnie.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  8. This really sounds different-Pickled Pumpkin! Little pie pumpkins were $1.99 at the Walmart, might be fun to give this a try:@)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never had pumpkin balls, but I'm sure I would love them! Pumpkin time of year is one of my favorites!! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember a recipe of
    My mothers friend in Birmingham Alabama in the 1960's. Very similar. Instead of balls, she cut small cubes. Chilled and ate over ice cream. I remember that she lay her pumpkin cubes in flat tray in solution to keep cube firm. Was it calcium ???? Perhaps you know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mona: I've never heard of any technique for keeping pumpkin cubes or balls firm other than minimal cooking of them. Sounds interesting though.

      Delete
  11. Pumpkins are plentiful here, and really inexpensive, so I'd love to try this recipe, Bonnie. It sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really have to try these! They do sound like a perfect addition to my Thanksgiving table. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really have to try these! They do sound like a perfect addition to my Thanksgiving table. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Bonnie,
    Thanks for your visit on my blog, much appreciated.
    And thanks for the Spiced Pumpkin Balls recipe. I will have to try it. Looks and sounds delicious.
    Have a wonderful week!
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh my! I am so pinning this. People are going to be amazed at the it. Never heard or even thought about doing this before! AMAZING

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.