Friday, November 22, 2013

Huguenot Torte with the Secret Sauce

In the late 17th century, French Huguenots began a mass exodus from France to escape religious suppression.  A small group came to Charleston, S.C..  They built their first church at, appropriately, 136 Church Street.  There, in the third church building (1844), it remains today.

This recipe was given to be by a native Charlestonian.  I assumed it was an old family recipe but she said it was from James Beard.  However she, hence I, came across the "recipt", it is delicious.  A note on the card suggested serving it with whipped cream laced with brandy.  I took it up a notch with my "secret" sauce which I am going to reveal to you.


Huguenot Torte

3 large eggs
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 Granny Smith apples peeled, cored and coarsely chopped
1/3 cup chopped pecans

Preheat the oven to 325

1.  In a large bowl, beat the eggs, sugar and vanilla until the mixture is thick and light in color.  Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together and stir into the egg mixture.  Mix well but don't over mix.  Fold in the apples and pecans.
2.  Thickly butter an 8 x 12 baking pan.  Spoon the batter in and even out.
3.  Bake for about 35 minutes or until the top is lightly browned and cracked.
4.  Serve warm or at room temperature spooned into a bowl and topped with the "secret sauce".

Secret Sauce Recipe

1 pint of really good, all-natural vanilla ice cream

1.  Allow the ice cream to melt in the refrigerator.
2.  Pour into a pretty server.
3.  Ladle a bit over the torte.

ENJOY!

19 comments:

  1. My hubby would be so delighted if I whipped this up for him today, I even had the ingredients for your secret sauce on hand! Thanks for sharing that. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds sinfully delicious!
    XO Kris

    ReplyDelete
  3. my eyes are old and so am I, when i saw the title on Feedly line up, i read
    hug a torte with the secret service.... am i nuts or what

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the simplicity of your secret sauce.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too love the simplicity of your secret sauce Bonnie. I bet this torte is great with the nuts and apples.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovin' your secret sauce Bonnie-thanks for sharing the family secret! The torte sounds great and I have a few aging apples on the counter to use up:@)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an awesome idea for the secret sauce!!! VERY hush-hush and complex. I think!! I am now trying to think of other things this luscious sauce would go over.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the torte..apples and nuts with wonderful secret sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is the second mention of this torte ..(at the moment where I fisrt saw it escapes me..)must be wonderful Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I could handle that secret sauce!! Thank you for sharing that one, Bonnie. Do you fold the apples in with the nuts or put them over the top?? My mouth is watering. thank you again. blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tanna: Yes, fold in the nuts. I've corrected the text and fired my proof reader--at least until the next post!!

      Delete
  11. I always like a little secret sauce and this one sounds pretty perfect! Granny Smith was always my "go to" apple for baking, until I discovered Honeycrisp apples. So I think I'd try one of each of them here. Kind of funny, I always liked James Beard, have several of his cookbooks and a couple of weeks ago purchased his "American Cookery." Love it and this recipe too! I just bought pecans today, and WOW! pricey little things now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I liked learning the history behind this dessert.
    This sounds delish and perfect with a good cup of coffee. Blessings dear. Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is delightful! Like Catherine, I was thinking the same thing...This would be perfect with a good cup of coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so funny...I had never heard of this dessert and now this is the second time today. It sounds delicious and topped with your secret sauce must take it over the top.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds so wonderful. I love anything with apples and....ice cream, even melted.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gosh does this sound good. Never heard of it but must try it.
    Thanks for sharing
    Happy Thanksgiving
    Love
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.