Monday, November 11, 2013

Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins

We have about another six weeks of fall before winter arrives.  Why can't those colorful leaves hang around and wait until winter gets here?  November seems to quickly go from peak to meek!  This beautiful maple is at the end of our driveway.  The photo was taken yesterday.  So far, few leaves have fallen to the ground beneath.  Soon, though! 


Surprisingly, there were a few roses in bloom beside the house.  They needed to come inside because temperatures were going to drop during the evening and overnight.  We also cut herbs and emptied flower pots.  

The thought of having a lemon poppy seed muffin seemed to warm the day and I pulled out a favorite recipe card.  One that is bent and stained.  There's no notation as from where it came.  It came long before one ever thought about sharing it through blogging and giving appropriate credit to the source.  I am sure it came from a favorite source--a friend or a food magazine.  I used to carry cards with me just in case I ran into a recipe I thought I'd like to try.  The muffins are light, lemony and delicious!


Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins

1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
2 large eggs, separated
1 1/3 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 Tbsp poppy seeds
Zest of 1 large lemon
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup buttermilk or plain yogurt
1 tsp vanilla

1.  Preheat oven to 350 and coat muffin tin with cooking spray or use paper liners.
2.  In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add the egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
3.  In a separate bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients, poppy seeds and the lemon zest.
4.  With the mixer on low speed, add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture, alternating with the buttermilk, lemon juice and vanilla.  Beat until just mixed.
5.  In a clean bowl with clean beaters, beat the the egg whites until soft peaks form.  Gently fold them into the batter until blended.
6.  Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tin.  Sprinkle the tops with sugar crystals if desired.
7.  Bake for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.

ENJOY!


22 comments:

  1. They do sound good and I have a big jar of poppy seeds in the freezer! In just one day every leaf on the trees across the street fell! Doesn't take long-enjoy:@)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound really good. There were lots of reds this year by us. We still have leaves up, about half in our yard are down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. these are my most favorite of all muffins... hubby loves blueberry best. i love anything with lemon in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these muffins! And I bet you wonder the story behind a stained recipe card! Your maple tree must be a delight as you look down your driveway!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one of my very favorite muffins! I think I need to get to the kitchen.... What a gorgeous tree...wish we had colors like that....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can never get enough of fall leaves. That tree is gorgeous! Baking always seems to go hand in hand with fall doesn't it. I made a pumpkin Bundt cake the other day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your fall picture is amazing!!
    and I love poppy sedes in muffins and cakes:))

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't had a lemon poppy muffin in much too long. I love poppy seeds.

    Your leaves are so pretty Bonnie. We didn't get much color this year before we left, sigh.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a gorgeous tree, Bonnie! The fall colors have been excellent this year, but now it's snowing like mad and the ground is white. I need one of your muffins now! My favorite kind!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful tree, Bonnie! Almost all of the leaves came down here in the last week and it snowed here also this morning. There about a half inch on the ground and c-c-c-cold tomorrow. Since I missed most of October it seems too soon to me :)

    Your muffins would be a favorite here!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Cutie, Those muffins looks delicious… YUM… Made my mouth water just thinking about them….

    We still have Roses and Irises blooming --but they say that a frigid front is coming tomorrow… Temps in the 20's might kill them… I hope not.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Light and lemony sounds like a terrific muffin. Your tree is beautiful...I hope you get to enjoy its vivid color for a little while. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a pretty tree. Our trees were pretty too but our wind and cool westher over the last few days have emptied their branches.
    Your muffins sound yummy!

    M : )

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love old recipe cards. It is a time past and usually fond memories are attached. I do agree that the beauty of this season is so fleeting. I love this time of year.
    The muffins are delicious. I love poppy seed and lemon muffins. Blessings dear. Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would love some of those here right now:-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. The stained recipe cards are always the best, eh?

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love lemon poppy seed cake and I am sure I would love this muffin version as well.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have so many of those old recipes..I entered them in my computer without attributing. We weren't as careful back then, never thinking we'd be publishing!
    Love a good lemon poppy seed muffin!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have many of my mom's handwritten recipes with no clue about where they came from. Many from friends and family is my guess. We are about at the end of fall colors here too. I always hate to see them fade away.

    ReplyDelete
  20. i love poppy seed! Cant wait to try this because I love having an arsenal of different recipes for my favorite bread! Love it

    ReplyDelete
  21. I agree, autumn's beauty never stays long enough for me. I rushed out and clipped the rose blooms this afternoon, as our temperature are suppose to drop into the mid twenties tonight. A lemon poppyseed muffin sounds perfect with a cup of tea. Hugs, Bonnie

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.