Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Baked French Apple Toast

We are still in full apple mode around here.  In fact there's half a bushel of apples in the basement waiting to jump into a recipe.  With temperatures plummeting (I'm not complaining--yet), there is comfort in a hearty breakfast.  This recipe feeds a crowd and can be put together the night before.  The next morning, uncover and pop into the oven.  Then sit down with coffee and the morning news while the aroma of the dish awakens the rest of the household.  Don't wait for a crowd to make it though.  It freezes well in packets for two.  






















Baked French Apple Toast
From the Scofield House Inn via the Chicago Tribune


1 large loaf French bread
8 large eggs
3 1/2 cups milk
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
6-8 medium-sized cooking apples
(used Macintosh)
1 tablespoon butter

Slice the bread into 1 1/2 inch slices. Spray a 9 x 13 inch glass pan with corn oil or non-stick spray. Place bread in glass dish tightly together.

Beat together the eggs, 1/2 cup of sugar, milk and vanilla for about 30 seconds. Pour half of the mixture over the bread.

Peel, core and slice apples. Place sliced apples on top of bread to cover. Pour the rest of the egg/milk mixture evenly over the apples.

Mix remaining 1/2 cup sugar with the cinnamon and nutmeg and sprinkle evenly over the apples.

Dot with the butter. Cover tightly and refrigerate overnight.

Next day, preheat oven to 350. Uncover dish and bake for one hour until risen and nicely browned. Remove from oven and let rest about ten minutes before serving.

Cut into squares and serve with warmed maple syrup and a side of bacon or sausage.

Sit back and accept kudos graciously!

ENJOY!

13 comments:

  1. I'll bet it smells great! I just happen to have some local apples on my counter:@)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your kitchen must smell great Bonnie. Even those who don't like to get up for breakfast would gladly rise and shine for this.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. A special breakfast is always welcome..:)..so comforting..and I agree the scent is just as cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks divine! Must make!!!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go, Bonnie! Looks like you had the perfect thing for breakfast. It's cold and very windy here today. Not ready for this...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy! So glad you said it could be frozen. I loved all the apples we picked this year, but alas they are gone. We enjoyed every one. I hope you are staying warm. hugs, Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love make-ahead breakfasts. This would be perfect for Thanksgiving when I have company to feed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah----I would love that.. I love French toast--and I love cooked apples. I grew up eating lots of cooked apples which Mom made... YUM... Thanks for the recipe.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Each year we travel to north Georgia ( as close as we can get to apples) and I brought home this past weekend 30-lbs of assorted apple varieties. Love, love it.

    This is a great morning/brunch french toast casserole that really does it well with the addition of apples. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Bonnie,
    Thanks for stopping by. Those pics are from Madison, IN. I see from your blog that you love to cook. This recipe looks really delicious, but it's the bacon that really getting to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks so good, perfect for Christmas morning!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.