Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Winter Vegetable Pickles


I love giving and receiving gifts of food at Christmas time.  Actually, I love it any time!  The ringing of the door bell and finding a friend holding a plate of cookies brings a smile to my face.  That pretty jar of  hot fudge sauce will be delicious on vanilla ice cream eaten by a roaring fire in January.  Those gaily wrapped biscotti will, as always, be perfect with a cup of tea and a good book to curl up with.  

If there are any of you who get too much of a sweet thing (are there any of you out there?) during the holidays, here's a recipe that is sure to please those with a taste for all things pickled.  I think I'm going to add whole green beans to my pot this year.  I collect jars throughout the year but especially love the Weck jars (on the left).  They are perfect for gifting.




Winter Vegetables Pickled as inspired by Southern Living Magazine

2 cups apple cider vinegar
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup kosher salt
3 garlic cloves
1 tsp. mustard seeds
1 tsp. black peppercorns
1/4 to 1/2 tsp. dried crushed red pepper
8 cups of assorted vegetables cut into about 1 1/2 inch pieces

1.  Bring the first seven ingredients and 2 1/2 cups water to a boil in a large, non-aluminum, saucepan, stirring until the sugar and salt is dissolved.  Boil for one minute.  Allow to stand for several hours.

2.  In the meantime, cook the vegetables, in batches, in boiling water to cover for 1 to 2 minutes depending on the vegetable and your desired crispness.  Remove to a cold water bath to stop the cooking process and drain well.

3.  Place the vegetables into a large bowl.  Heat the warm vinegar mixture until a few bubbles appear and pour over the vegetables and let stand for one hour.  Store in airtight containers and cover with the liquid.  Chill overnight.  The pickled vegetables will keep for about two weeks refrigerated.

ENJOY!

18 comments:

  1. They do! Love that tall Weck? Is it?I collect ones very similar to your other one..my mustard comes in those and Le parfait..t is like a free treat:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the tall one is the Weck. The other came with plum jam--a bonus indeed.

      Delete
  2. Wow, these would be welcomed for sure! Have fun in the kitchen:@)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too! I love to both give, and receive a food gift!! A true foodie, eh?
    One year, my Mom and I made Kahlua and had purchased beautiful tall slender bottles with cork stoppers and gifted these to our friends and neighbors. I also made homemade vanilla one year. That was fun!!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  4. and even if people don't eat pickled veggies they are beautiful decorations. my mom use to pickle everything...

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look so pretty! And the colors are so Christmassy as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, I would much rather receive this than a plate of cookies.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Sam. I'd much rather receive this than cookies. Your green and red pickled veggies even look like Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. look delicious! my mom love pickles!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another lovely food gift. You have such good ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks yummy… I love pickled veggies… My mother made homemade Bread 'n Butter Pickles --and they were fabulous. I could never match them!

    That would be a great Christmas gift for sure. Thanks!
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love anything pickled! I make my own homemade spicy giardiniera - so good! Hope you are staying warm Bonnie!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rarely this type of blogs are found with a great information.I would love to suggest people to read your blog and share the information. You want to Enjoy tasty home made pickle India ? Now you can Buy pickles directly from India’s favorite traditional pickle makers right from the comfort of your home.buy indian pickles online

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rarely this type of blogs are found with a great information.I would love to suggest people to read your blog and share the information. You want to Enjoy tasty home made pickle India ? Now you can Buy pickles directly from India’s favorite traditional pickle makers right from the comfort of your home.home delivery indian pickles

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm the founder/moderator for Punk Domestics (www.punkdomestics.com), a community site for those of use obsessed with, er, interested in DIY food. It's sort of like Tastespotting, but specific to the niche. I'd love for you to submit this to the site. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love to have this Winter Vegetable Pickles.
    Edoubts.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.