Ringing in the new year with dinner at home turned out to be a good idea. A good idea for the hosts--us--that is. It snowed and snowed. Our intrepid fellow celebrants didn't let that stop them! Traveling from south and north, they showed up ready to party. While we were unable to convince the men to wear their tuxes, we ladies sparkled!
Jane patiently waits to enjoy her dessert as The Baker serves the table with one of his most requested sweets. It is one that I've shared before but bears repeating. The amaretti cookies are readily available in Italian grocery stores and online. We always have a tin in the pantry as they keep for a long, really long, time.
Chocolate Amaretti Cake slightly adapted from a recipe by Marcella Hazan
1/2 pound butter at room temperature
1 cup sugar
5 eggs at room temperature
1/2 cup flour
10 pairs of amaretti (the 4 ounce pairs wrapped in colorful papers--not the small unwrapped ones) ground to powder form in a food processor
2 ounces of semisweet baking chocolate, finely grated
A 9" round springform pan
1. Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
2. One at a time, separate the eggs and beat the yolks into the butter mixture.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the flour and the ground amaretti. Add to the butter mixture a little at a time beating until thoroughly mixed.
4. Add the grated chocolate, mixing well.
5. Beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Gently stir in 4 Tbsp of the whites to the cake mixture. This will loosen it somewhat. Fold in the remaining egg whites.
6. Butter and flour the baking pan, knocking out the excess flour.
7. Pour the batter into the pan.
8. Bake in the uppermost level of the oven for 1 hour. Start testing for doneness at about 45 minutes. It's done when a toothpick poked in the center comes out clean.
9. Loosen the side of the springform pan. Let it sit to settle a little while.
We like to serve it with whipped cream to which a dash (or more) of Grand Marnier has been added.
ENJOY!

The best way to ring in the new year is at home and I do mean "at home" as you did. Looks like your lucky guests had a treat with your scrumptious chocolate amaretti cake.
ReplyDeleteSam
Oh, Bonnie, what a wonderful way to ring in the new year!! And, that beef bourguignon, oh, my! I've always thought that sounded so elegant yet rustic. I loved the part about it in Julie and Julia (the movie) and have always imagined making it for a wonderful dinner gathering... that event is still in my bucket list. LOL!
ReplyDeleteHope you are managing to stay warm in this bitter weather. Things have eased up down this way. I can't even imagine the weather y'all have had! blessings ~ tanna
Love the sound of this recipe..
ReplyDeleteYour friends happy smiling face ..is heartwarming!
Having looked at his recipe I can see why this is one of the Baker's most requested recipes. Truly fabulous. Blessings...Mary
ReplyDeletei can see the happy times in the photos...
ReplyDeletebeautiful photo and beautiful dish! Yum!
ReplyDeleteYum!!!!!
ReplyDeletexo Kris
Sounds like a great cake and looks like a fun night:@)
ReplyDeleteBeautiful! So nice to get together with good friends.
ReplyDeleteThe cookies have always been a favorite.
Happy New Year. Blessings, Catherine
There are some advantages to hosting, especially in bad weather! The cake looks wonderful! Hope you are some warmer now.
ReplyDeleteYUM..... if I were eating a meal at your home, I'd get there even if I had to walk or hitchhike or bring my boat.... ha ha
ReplyDeleteThe cake sounds terrific.... YUMMMMMMM.
Hugs,
Betsy
Betsy: I think you and George need to make a nostalgic trip to George's home. And, come for dinner!!
DeleteAfter checking your blog I can say that its really awesome!! Thanks for sharing this delicious recipe.
ReplyDeleteYummy looking cake! No wonder everyone beat the weather to attend your party. Looks like they had a wonderful time.
ReplyDeleteLook amazing Bonnie!!
ReplyDeleteAnother great recipe. I am so glad you shared this with us. I am suppose to be trying to loose weight but I have to try this.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for coming by and leaving me a sweet comment about my daughters engagement. As you know I am over the moon happy.
Happy New Year
Love
Maggie