Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Birthday: Joys and Concerns

As most of you know, I believe that birthdays should be celebrated long and well.  One should have a birthday month.  My birthday started on Sunday.



There were cards to read.



Flowers to brighten a winter birthday.
Thanks Stefan and Elyssa!

Early morning brought the news that a dear friend's husband had passed away.  Gone too soon,  Jeff will be greatly missed by those who knew and loved him.  

A bit later in the morning came the news that another dear friend had suffered great injuries and was hospitalized.  This sweet young woman is near and dear to me.  Thanks to God, she is recovering!

I spent the rest of the day in a reflective mood.  Thinking on what is truly important in life and how much I had to celebrate on this birthday.  I'm surrounded by those I love and who love me.  Fleeting thoughts of those loved ones bring great joy at unexpected times.  Thoughts likened to a quick hug in passing.  Thoughts that shorten the many miles separating some of us.  

Thank you all for the cards, calls and gifts.

The greatest gift is having you in my life!

17 comments:

  1. You are loved~
    That is a great gift....and to love.
    I am sorry about your friends passing and the other's hospitalization..
    Happy month long birthday Bonnie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday, love the flowers...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the more birthdays we have (notice I didn't say the older we get) we think more about what is important in life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm so sorry for the sad news , life can be a challenge and that should make us enjoy the good times even more , like one month birthday celebrations, I like that idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good idea to take time to reflect -- it allows us to live our lives better … and so sorry about all the bad news. It looks like you were/are well loved for your birthday and may the celebration continue--there is a lot of January left!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy B-Day! Gorgeous flowers and enjoy your month:@)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you had a great birthday... After our 'experience' yesterday, I thought about how precious life is --and how it CAN change in an instant... We never know, do we? We just need to enjoy each day to its fullest.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happiest of birthdays to you!! I too, celebrate for the month my birthday is in!!
    I am so sorry about the loss your friend. And also hope that your young friend recovers swiftly!
    Indeed, we are reminded daily of the gift of life.
    Hugs
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like you had a great birthday and it's a perfect time for reflection. Sorry about your friend and hope the young woman is doing well. The flowers are so pretty, a great thing for this yucky weather! It's snowing here like mad now, very windy and roads are nasty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry about your friend passing and the other in the hospital. Birthdays are for reflecting and appreciating where we are in life. Life is precious.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am sorry of your friends passing and your other friends injuries.
    I will keep them in my prayers.

    I wish you a beautiful year ahead. Happy Birthday.
    Blessings dear. Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am very sorry the sad news of your friends. I do hope the young woman recuperates.

    Happy Birthday and have a beautiful month. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  13. so glad your friend is okay and I am so sorry to hear about your friend's husband.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sending hugs and prayers and happiest of birthday wishes your way, Bonnie... blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  15. Enjoy this sweet birthday month. Prayers for your friend's recovery and on the loss of Jeff.

    ReplyDelete
  16. First of all, Happy Birthday Bonnie! I hope your birthday month gives you many hugs.

    Sad news about your friends! It's been a reflective time for me also as it would have been my dear, recently-departed sister's birthday yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy birthday dear Bonnie!! prayers for your friend.
    xx

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.