Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Rich Chocolate Cherry Cake

Thanks to our birthday luncheon hostess, Ellen, here is the recipe for that delicious chocolate cherry bundt cake that I teased you with in my last post.  

Ellen cut the 3/4 cup of sugar by 1/2 (you do the math!).  The chocolate chips and cherries certainly provide plenty of sweetness.  She also cautioned about the baking time.  Ellen felt she'd left the cake in the oven too long at one hour and suggests starting to check at fifty minutes.  Personally, I thought the texture was excellent and The Baker agreed (I brought him a piece).  The outside was slightly crunchy (I'm sure there's a better culinary term) and the inside was dense with cherries and chocolate chips and nuts--oh my!).  I've put it on my list of "must make" cakes.  I might even leave it in the oven the full hour but I'll check it too.  



Rich Chocolate Cherry Cake 

Preheat oven to 350

2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar (can cut by 1/2)
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
3/4 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs, slightly beaten
2 tsp vanilla

Mix the above well.

Stir in:

1 (21 oz) can low sugar cherry pie filling or 1 cup fresh or frozen pitted cherries
1 (6 oz) package semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans

Pour into a well-greased and floured bundt cake pan

Bake 50 minutes to 1 hour.  Cool 10 minutes in pan.  Remove from pan and cool completely.
Dust with confectioners' sugar if desired.

Don't forget to top with cherry ice cream and hot chocolate sauce!!



ENJOY!

21 comments:

  1. So nice you share your recipes together too:)

    I am bad when I see use 1/2 of 3/4 I often take my 3/4 measure and eyeball half:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i told my hubby about your cake on your birthday post and he said he never heard of cherry ice cream... and i love it... but have not had it for about 40 years. i love cherry pie or cherry anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh la la! That looks absolutely divine!!! Thank you for sharing the recipe!! Filling it for a special occasion!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my that looks so good! Even on such a cold day. Even our local news is talking about your temperature this morning. Hope of some white stuff here today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great cake...my favorite combination of chocolate and cherries.....and how decadent with the ice cream and sauce.Thanks for sharing the recipe
    Balisha

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh man! It looks incredible. So rich and chocolatey and sweet with the cherry flavor

    ReplyDelete
  7. Believe it or not, even though I LOVE to eat, chocolate cake or cookies are NOT my fav's. IF I ate some cake, I would definitely eat it plain without all of the goop! ha

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my, that sounds so good. I will try that one, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Woo hoo! Love this cake, esp. because of the cherries. It sounds delicious! Glad you had a good time celebrating with your friends, despite the nasty weather. It has warmed up to 0 degrees here now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks wonderful. Chocolate and cherries are a perfect combo. Blessings dear. Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great cake cherries my favorite and in season now! in my garden. Havent been long time on blogger ,your blog has improved so well,glad to see that.Come and visit me too.Will be posting some great recipes from my fellow cook and kiwi Annabel Langbein.Also in English language.Greetings from sunny New Zealnd

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great idea to reduce the sugar. Chocolate and cherries are so good to together.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, good golly! THAT looks heavenly.

    M :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds yummy! I almost always start checking cakes and other baked goods a few minutes before the designated time. Not all ovens bake the same. I hope you guys get some warmer weather in a day or so. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks delicious, Bonnie! I like the chocolate/cherry combination. Baking is a challenge here due to the high altitude I live in (6,200 feet) It is sometimes a guessing game for me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your cake looks delicious!

    visit my site sometime,
    Michael :-)
    http://michaelswoodcraft.wordpress.com/2014/01/23/making-creme-brulee/

    ReplyDelete
  17. That looks marvelous! Love cherry and chocolate together. Hopefully, reducing the sugar in the cake balances the ice cream on top! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just like a big chocolate covered cherry. :) Delicious!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.