Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Sheila's Low and Slow Oxtail Stew

My friend, Sheila, picked up a package of oxtails at the market and asked me for a recipe.  I didn't have one.  In fact, I don't think I've ever eaten oxtails.  "Don't worry, I'll find one" she said.  "How about if I feature you on the blog when you make the stew?"  And we agreed that I'd do just that.

Now, I was going into an explanation of the particular cut of meat that is oxtail.  After some research, the weather seemed to be a better topic to discuss!!  The weather has turned nasty again.  Yesterday was to have been the birthday gathering of the January birthday ladies.  We had to postpone due to snow, blowing and drifting snow and extreme cold.  Friday is the new date.  

Here is Sheila's recipe along with her photo.  Her family gave the recipe a big thumbs up.  I wish I had a package of oxtails to roast on this snowy day in the midwest.


Sheila's Low and Slow Oxtails from Sheila's Wilmette Kitchen

3 pounds of beef oxtails
3 Tbsp oil
1/2 cup flour
2 tsp herbs de Provence
Salt and pepper to taste
6 carrots, 2 of them diced and 4 in large pieces
2 onions, 1 diced and 1 in large pieces
5 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 cup red wine
1/2 cup water
1 6 ounce can tomato paste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

1.  Mix the flour and herbs de Provence together.  Dredge the oxtails in the mixture.
2.  Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven.  Add the oxtails and brown on both sides.  Remove from the pot.
3.  Add the diced carrots and onions to the pot and saute for two minutes to soften.  Add the garlic and saute for another minute.  Add the wine and cook, stirring, for another minute.  Stir in the tomato paste.
4.  If your Dutch oven does not have a tight-fitting lid, cover it tightly with aluminum foil and then the lid.  Roast for 1 1/2 hours.  Turn the oxtails over and roast for another 1 1/2 hours.
5.  Add the vegetables.  Cover the pot and reduce the heat to 250.  Roast for another 2 hours.
6.  Remove the pot from the oven and let it stand for at least a half hour before serving.
7.  Serve with mashed potatoes, a salad and a bottle of good red wine.

ENJOY!


20 comments:

  1. My husband has been wanting to do an oxtail recipe for my blog, but we've never gotten around to it. You and Sheila beat me to the punch. It looks perfect for your cold weather Bonnie. Stay warm, we're all thinking of our friends up east in this nasty weather.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up eating oxtails and ate them a lot while living in Germany. It has been too long. I saw them the other day and was surprised how expensive they have gotten. Nonetheless, this recipe looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun is that? A friend that is featured on your blog:) Looks comforting~
    -20 F this AM here..

    ReplyDelete
  4. i can't even read the recipe the thought makes me gag

    ReplyDelete
  5. While I've never tried ox tails either, the addition of Herbs de Provence sounds really good:@)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never had oxtails... Are they fatty? When I eat beef, I like it lean! BUT--that dish looks delicious--especially in this weather.

    Cold here this morning. Was MINUS 2 about 6 a.m. Yipes!

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think they are fatty. If there's more fat than you want, make them the day ahead and let them sit in the refrigerator overnight. You can just spoon the fat off.

      Delete
  7. This sounds so good - love, love, love oxtails!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never roasted oxtails either but have seen a couple of recipes for them lately and they are something I'd like to try - especially this brutal winter! I'll have to see if I can find them at our grocery store.

    We didn't get the snow you did yesterday but it certainly is cold!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would sooooo love this dish!! There is not much I love better than a good sloooow recipe. I haven't had oxtail stew since I was a child. I'm putting it on my list for first up after the ten more pounds get OFF. ;) Yum. I hope you are all snuggled in and warm as toast, Bonnie. These cold blasts have been brutal, more for y'all than us, but I'm ready for the long summer days! ;) Crossing my fingers the weather cooperates for the birthday bash!! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks delicious! Years ago in Louisville, our neighbors made oxtail dishes often and they were all good. I've made a few and need to do this one soon.

    It is snowing yet again here and windy and supposed to be much worse tonight/tomorrow. Bitter cold---as if this isn't bitter. It's all of 11 degrees at noon! Keep warm!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I worked for an attorney one time that LOVED oxtails, but his wife wasn't a very good cook. His birthday was in October and I always brought him a bit pot of oxtail soup and he'd have it for lunch every single day!

    I am so over this weather Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't believe there is an "exotic" food that I've eaten and you haven't! I have a friend that loves to make this and indeed we have had it at her table. It's really pretty good as long as you don't think too much. Can't be worse than tongue!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks delicious, but back in the days I worked in a very high-end restaurant in NYC, one of my jobs was to pick apart the oxtail. There were hundreds of pounds of it in this giant vat -- since then, I just can't cook it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello, my name is Francesca and I'm Italian. I stumbled upon your blog and I liked it because there are so many things belkle. I have joined your supporters. If you go too foul. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bonnie, that's a cold weather dish, no question. Looks marvelous, saved the recipe.
    When I make anything with oxtail, I skim off any fat...but there really isn't much and it imparts so much flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My mom used to make ox-tail soup and it was delicious! This post certainly brought back delicious memories. Blessings dear. Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've never had ox-tails, but this has made me curious. I may look for them at the butcher this weekend. We're probably not as cold here as you are, but it's plenty cold enough for me. BTW, your water pipe problem sounded scary! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have never had Oxtails . . . this sounds and looks like YUM!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.