Friday, March 14, 2014

Irish Lemon Sponge Pudding

Spring-like weather arrived for us on Tuesday.  The temperature climbed to fifty degrees and snow melted fast.  Wednesday we were back to winter with an all-day snow.  It piled up on even the tenderest branches and clung to them even in the strong winds that blew through the area.  The gales were so strong that many traffic lights were still snow-covered yesterday.  Covered to the extent that one couldn't tell if they were red or green in some instances.  That was a bit worrisome!!  

 Our grocery store had Meyer lemons this week.  I was so excited that I scooped up a bagful without a clear purpose in mind.  The snow kept me in so I pulled out my citrus file and looked through recipes.  This lemon sponge pudding (which I've shared with you before) was the third dessert ever from my kitchen.  It followed brownies (of course) and strawberry shortcake.  Somewhere along my culinary route, I saw a similar recipe that called it an Irish dessert--at least, I think I did.  It was enough for me to put it on our St. Patrick's Day menu alternating with Whiskey Pudding.  This year, with those Meyer lemons in the house, it is going to be the lemon sponge pudding.

Happy St. Patrick's Day to all!!




Irish Lemon Sponge Pudding recipe from a smudged 3 x 5 index card 

3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp butter, softened
1 Tbsp grated lemon peel
3 eggs, separated
3 Tbsp flour
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 cup milk

1.  Lightly butter a 1 1/2 quart casserole-type dish and preheat the oven to 350.
2. Cream together the butter and sugar, add the lemon peel.
3.  Beat in the three egg yolks well.
4.  Stir in the three Tbsp of flour alternating with the lemon juice and milk.
5.  Beat the egg whites until stiff and fold into the batter.  Spoon into the prepared dish.
6.  Place the dish in a pan deep enough to hold it and allow for a hot water bath of about an inch.
7.  Bake until set, about 1 hour.
8.  Serve immediately or chilled.

ENJOY!


14 comments:

  1. Snowing still? Hopefully, this is winter's last hurrah and spring will soon trumpet its arrival. The lemon sponge sounds wonderful and begs to be tried. I'm ready to pucker up:-). Have a great day, Bonnie. Blessings...Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here too as you know Bonnie..
    Love the pud and those lemons:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks delicious! I hope this is the last hurrah of winter for you. My sister said this was such a heavy snow it was hard to shovel and there was ice flying around her building downtown. This will be a winter you talk about for years to come I'm guessing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh mercy me, I can't wait to make this! I love all things lemon!!!!! Wonder if using my own lemons from my trees will ruin it?
    XO Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Kris. I've only used the Meyer lemons a few times. They are hard to find in the midwest.

      Best,
      Bonnie

      Delete
  5. Great recipe - am going to make it today. I have Meyer lemons in the fridge just waiting for a purpose! Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fickle weather! I think we've seen the last of the snow... and if it does snow, it won't last long. Another 2.5 months before we can plant, though :( This pudding looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The snow you're talking about must have missed us to the north, thankfully! We're enjoying another beautiful day here and love seeing the snow melt inch by inch. I'd better bite my tongue before we get a blizzard :)

    I love anything lemon so this sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bet the fragrance flowing through the house was wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my, this sounds amazing! I still haven't seen a real life Meyer lemon here yet... But I keep looking:@)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am amazed that winter will not give up on you. Also amazing pudding with the Meyer lemons. I can find Meyer lemons, if you can believe it, in our supermarket in our small mountain town easier than I can in a city. Go figure.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bonnie your recipes and pictures always make my mouth water so much! It's a good job I don't live next door to you as I would be always coming over for a taste! And I'm too fat now!! Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Se ve muy rico dorado y aromàtico me gusta mucho,abrazos.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.