Mushroom and Wild Rice Soup
4 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup wild rice
1 ounce dried mixed mushroom
1 1/2 cups hot water
2 Tbsp butter
4 ounces fresh cremini or button mushrooms, quartered or thickly sliced
1 medium onion, quartered and thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1 medium potato, peeled and diced
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup half and half
1. Combine chicken broth and rice in a pot large enough to hold all the ingredients. Cover and simmer over medium low heat until rice is tender, about 40 minutes.
2. In the meantime, soak the mushrooms in the hot water until softened, about 15 minutes. Drain the mushrooms and reserve the liquid.
3. Melt 1 Tbsp butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute the fresh mushrooms until tender and golden brown. Remove to a bowl. In the same pan, melt the remaining Tbsp of butter and add the onion. Saute until translucent, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and thyme and saute one minute longer.
4. Add the soaked mushrooms, the reserved liquid, the sauteed mushrooms, onion and garlic to the wild rice and chicken broth along with the potato. Cover and simmer until the potato is softened.
5. Cool slightly and roughly puree about two cups of the mixture in a blender or food processor. Return the puree to the pot and stir in the milk and half and half. Bring to a slight simmer and serve.
ENJOY!
what a fantastic idea to meet people when moving to a new place. or even if you are in an old place. i don't cook so it would not be a cooking class but there are tons of classes on other subjects, art and photography. a great way to make new friends. thanks
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely soup. Great idea about how to meet people. I would have never thought of it, but I'm definitely making a note. We've moved often in our lives.
ReplyDeleteSam
What a wonderful friendship you developed! Your story illustrates the wisdom of getting out there and making yourself known and making new friends. The soup looks delicious! Annie
ReplyDeleteBonnie...quite honestly, I can't tell you if I love the recipe more than the heart-warming story or Vice versa ;o) I do wish I would have had a Judith too.
ReplyDeleteMushrooms are my chocolate...so you can just imagine how this fabulous soup is going to smell in my home sometime very soon.
Ciao for now,
Claudia
It was so nice to hear about how you met a dear friend. We never know where those "soul-mates" will enter our lives and being open to their possiblity is the key. It's interesting you mentioned fried green tomotoes. I recently had a fried green BLT. It was drizzled with balsamic vinegar and it was excellent!
ReplyDeleteBest,
Susan
Thank you very much!! I can't wait to make this. What a lovely story about meeting your Hungarian friend.
ReplyDeleteNow that is one humdinger of a friendship.
ReplyDeleteI had no idea you were a cooking instructor, you have many talents.
I so wish hubby liked mushrooms, this looks so yummy.
Okay, I will bite... what does ostrich taste like?
I love recipes that are served up warm and comforting with a good story. Hugs! Bonnie
ReplyDeleteThe best friends are those we share common interests with. She could sure make a tasty mushroom soup!!!
ReplyDeleteIt's food that can bring people together. It's the meal and the laughter that keep us together. What a wonderful tribute to Judith. Awesome.
ReplyDeleteVelva
this is a wonderful idea for how to meet like minded friends.
ReplyDeleteI love mushrooms, therefore, I know I would love this!!
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely story! And it goes incredibly well with the lovely recipe. Mushrooms are one of my favs so I can't wait to give this a try!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing!
What a nice story and the soup looks delicious. I have made something similar but this definitely has more of a "flare" to it>
ReplyDeleteThis is a lovely recipe made better still by time and memory. I would love a bowl of this. Have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary
ReplyDeleteBonnie,
ReplyDeleteThis is a keeper and what a lovely story. I met many of my friends here taking classes at the nearby quilt shop.
Carol
Nice way to meet people. The soup sounds heavenly.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing that story and such a great sounding soup. I love mushrooms in any form.
ReplyDeleteThis is a very pretty soup and doesn't look hard to make at all! What a special friend she was, she sounds like a real jewel!! Now you must tell me how the ostrich was prepared and how it tasted.
ReplyDeleteTammy: Ostrich is the consistency of liver (which I like a lot) and has a mild taste similar to veal.
ReplyDeleteGinny: Judith salted and pepped the ostrich and lightly coated it in flour before sauteing it in a little butter and vegetable oil. It was delicious!
What a lovely memory Bonnie! I actually don't like mushrooms, but my husband does - not sure he's ever had mushroom soup before though!
ReplyDeleteMaybe we've finally made the turn towards spring?!
Bonnie, this recipe sounds so rich and velvety delicious! I love the story about Judith. I know she was very glad you went to "learn" about tea, too.
ReplyDeleteGreat idea to take a cooking class. Always nice to try out some new and delicious recipes, too.
ReplyDeleteJudith sounds like a doll. I need to take some cooking classes here in Austin! And I need to make this soup. Thank you for sharing your words and recipe tonight. I'm drooling. I hope you have a beautiful day tomorrow. Happy Hump Day!
ReplyDeleteFood does bring together people and creates the best memories. This soup looks delicious Bonnie!
ReplyDeleteDo you think I could sub fat free half and half? This looks so yummy, my family will love this recipe.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteOops, I didn't mean to delete this comment.
DeleteI'll say it again, it's a great way to meet people in a new town. Love the story of Judith and especially her soup.
ReplyDeleteSam