Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Easter in New England


When the boys were little, we'd hide eggs on Easter eve and put together baskets loaded with fun.  Some candy found it's way in but not too much.  Cadbury eggs were always included and, for Stefan, a small box of Peeps.  After a quick breakfast, the boys were off to check out their baskets.  Hunting for eggs would wait until after church.  During our Charleston years, we'd join the congregation for brunch after the service.  There would be an egg hunt there as well.  For the past few decades, we've have Easter brunch with our friends.   I missed those dear faces this year but it was a joy to be with our younger son and his wife.  All I had to do was sip coffee while Easter brunch was being prepared!


Happy-faced flowers lined up in buckets filled with
chocolate bunnies, sheep and baby chicks.


Brunch Menu

Lamb kabobs
Spicy chickpeas
Cucumber raita 


Stefan baked his favorite coconut cake from my recipe file.  He remembered that I always used white bunnies but couldn't find them.  I seem to remember that the original Peeps only came in white.  I don't think anyone ate the Peeps but the cake was a big hit!!

9 comments:

  1. We had two birthday cakes that I decorated with peeps too. Little blue birds and pink bunnies. Such an easy decoration. Sounds like your Easter was nice...and very relaxing for you.
    Balisha

    ReplyDelete
  2. love coconut cake... or coconut anything...i like the buckets to. we use to hide eggs before we went to church, in the house, mother did that for us while daddy got dressed. we had one bathroom... then she put them back in he fridge and we went to church and after dinner, lunch to most people, we hid them in the yard...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a perfect Easter. I'm probably the only person in the world who hasn't eaten a Peep :) but they are cute.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have only seen yellow peeps up to now … pretty lavender. Your son shows he is your son with this post. I'm glad you had a nice time! Sounds pretty relaxing to sit while a delicious brunch is prepared!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea for the cake! It is really cute, and I can imagine that all white peeps would class it up. But probably the kids would like the colors better. I love the cheerful buckets, they are a great change from baskets and make everything so pretty. What mixed emotions to be on the receiving end of Easter with your son, but also how wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like a wonderful Easter at your son's home, Bonnie! More often than not, my Easter's have been spent with my children the past decade, as we always traveled to see them on the holidays. I am fortunate that both my son and my son-in-law are marvelous cooks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How sweet he baked you a cake..and YOUR recipe..
    You must have had a ball.

    ReplyDelete
  8. One day MAYBE I'll get to sip coffee while Easter dinner is being prepared :) Glad you had a great time and were treated to such delicious fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you had a great Easter! Love the cake:@)

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.