Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Roasted Cauliflower Soup

Have you heard that one can't just throw ingredients into a pot and make a good soup?  That one must follow recipes if the outcome is to be successful?  At some point after I stood before a soup pot for the first time and yesterday, I heard or read or was advised of this theory.  Well, it isn't so!  Some of our best soups have been put (thrown?) together with what is in the vegetable crisper.  Even when I use a recipe for a soup, I rarely follow it completely.

The inspiration for roasted cauliflower soup came with having picked up a lovely smallish cauliflower at the market and having absolutely nothing for it to accompany for dinner.  It was also an evening that required a light and fast meal.  Corn muffins and a salad rounded out a perfectly respectful dinner supper before heading out to a meeting.  The soup was made earlier in the day so cleanup was a snap!


Roasted Cauliflower Soup (Serves 4)

1 medium head of cauliflower (about 3 cups), separated into largish florets
1 medium onion, cut into four pieces
3 cloves of garlic
2 Tbsp olive oil
3 cups of chicken stock
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup of whole milk

Preheat oven to 400 degrees

1.  Toss the cauliflower, onion and garlic with the olive oil.  Set the garlic aside.  Roast the vegetables for ten minutes then add the garlic, roasting for another five minutes or just until all begins to turn a golden brown.  Be careful not to burn!
2.  Place all into a large soup pot, add the chicken stock and salt and pepper to taste.  Cover and cook over medium low heat for about 30 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
3.  Using an immersion blender or food processor, blend until completely smooth.
4.  Return to the pot and, over low heat, add milk to thin out and to taste.  I usually add the whole cup.

ENJOY!

18 comments:

  1. I love soups like this, Bonnie. Great flavors in there and you put your cauliflower to good use. Soups like this are even good cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, I think you are right. This would make a delicious cold soup.

      Delete
  2. I bet roasted really makes it sparkle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The roasting helps with the flavors doesn't it? I often add left over cauliflower to soup, just crushing it up a bit. I totally agree with you about the process of making soup. So I noticed you switched to supper. That's an ongoing discussion with our younger generation; they think that supper is an outdated term and evening meals are dinner. The way you used it makes me think you consider supper to be lighter fare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Growing up in the south, it was always lunch and dinner except for Sunday. On Sunday, it was dinner and supper. Supper was much lighter.
      I still think of it that way.

      Delete
  4. Roasting the cauliflower makes a multilayered delicious soup. Juts one of those vegetables that benefits greatly from roasting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has only been in recent years that I've roasted a lot of vegetables before making soup. I think it makes a big difference and well worth the extra step.

      Delete
  5. Making it tonight! Sounds very good!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds wonderful and hearty!!! Mmmmm! Must try!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love cauliflower soup and it is the only soup i make unless you count Campbells.
    this sounds delish. i make mine with cauliflower, garlic or onions, butter and milk. and i mash it with the tater masher...we both love it. and i agree. soup is delish when thrown together. when my kids were small i would have a cup of something left over, not enough for the four of us. i would freeze it. when i got enough i would put a few pieces of brown stem meat in tomatoes and throw every thing from the freezer in it and when i came home the crock pot was full of soup.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love soups like this Bonnie. They come in so handy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks so good! Last week I bought a big beautiful head of cauliflower and was going to put it in soup. But it was so beautiful that I hated to break it down into a soup. I have printed this and this time I will buy a smaller head and make this, I even have the immersion blender!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yea, this is the kind of soup I make all the time-love it! I just made a pot of Scavenger Soup this morning myself:@)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great inspiration that little head of cauliflower was! This sounds absolutely delicious with the roasted vegggies.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never tried using Cauliflower in soup before. A good idea. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think I could eat soup everyday and yours would be most welcomed at my table.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello on a gorgeous, spring day in TENNESSEE. Wow---after the long and bitter winter we had this year, Spring is even more inviting and lovely.

    Sounds delicious.. I love cauliflower ---so this would be a great soup to try. THANKS for sharing.

    We are now home 'again' --after our 5th trip since the end of February.... Seems as if we visited five different states --although the trips weren't planned for that reason... ha... BUT--as I always say, it's great to be home... I did publish a blog post today--so check it out when you have time. Have a wonderful weekend.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.