Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Almond Mazurek

It's time to interrupt "travels with Bonnie" and post a recipe--although the recipe is somewhat travel related.  When I realized I'd be returning to a very busy week starting with my book group the day after I returned, I asked the Baker to come to my rescue with a dessert.  He readily agreed.  While he was baking, I opened my suitcase to find a note from TSA saying they had gone through it (mostly dirty laundry) and all was well.  While I washed, dried and folded, he worked his magic to come up with this delicious Polish sweet. The bar cookie is very similar to one my mother-in-law made.  She did not want so share her recipe and I thought it was lost when she passed away.  Here it is, made from a yellowed Chicago Tribune recipe in the Baker's file.  There's no date but I'm guessing a decade?  How long does it take a newspaper clipping to yellow?  I hope you'll give it a try because it is delicious.


Almond Mazurek (Mazurek is a lively folk dance from Central Poland) 

Crust:

1 1/4 cups flour
5 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup butter, softened

Filling:

1 cup slivered almonds
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 eggs
1/2 tsp almond extract
1/3 cup raspberry preserves (seedless preferred)

Oven preheated to 350 degrees

For the crust:

1.  Combine flour, sugar and baking powder in a food processor.  Cut the butter into 8 pieces and distribute over the flour mixture.  Process until the mixture is crumbly.
2.  Transfer to an 8-inch square baking pan that has been generously buttered.  Press into an even layer over the bottom of the pan.  Bake until the crust just begins to lightly brown, 10 to 12 minutes.  Remove from the oven and cool.

For the filling:

3.  In the food processor, process the almonds with the sugar until the nuts are as fine as the sugar.  Add the butter, eggs and almond flavoring and process for one minute.
4.  Spread the preserves evenly over the crust.  Add the almond filling and carefully spread evenly over the preserves.  Bake until the filling is set and golden, 40 to 45 minutes.  Cool and cut into 16 squares.

ENJOY!

15 comments:

  1. you know i am running for the kitchen.. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. i heart almond flavor to any recipe and this mazurek looks delicious and different than other desserts we are used to eating and I love adding new different things to our weekly menus!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know I would love this..almond..raspberry..and how nice he made them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM.... That looks scrumptious . I would love it... While describing the name --it made me smile and think about us describing the name of the street we live on. Why couldn't we be lucky enough to live on Court Street instead of Baltusrol Road????? Ever heard of Baltusrol??? I had NOT.... (It's a gold course somewhere in Scotland...) Took me a few months to pronounce it and spell it when we moved here. ha ha

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is so fancy! And it looks so pretty and perfect that you would think it was bought in a bakery.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum, almonds always makes sweets taste better. I had a step-mother in law who never shared recipes, but I outfoxed her one time and found it on my own. The Chicago Tribune always has great recipes. Happy Mother's Day Bonnie.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  7. What shame she didn't want to share, maybe the cookies are what she hoped to be remembered by? Anyway, these cookies look great:@)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, how nice of the Baker! This sounds like a great dessert and I'm sure the bars disappeared quickly! I just never got people who don't want to share their recipes. Good thing with the Trib!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks so good! You've got a keeper there. (both the recipe AND the Baker) :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This dessert both looks and sounds delicious. Blessings dear. Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my , this sounds delicious

    M : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd like to invite you to join our site www.erecipe.com . I really enjoy your blog and recipes and I think the over 8,000 unique daily visitors to eRecipe will too.
    By joining eRecipe, we will provide the Nutrition Facts for every recipe you post in which you could customize and add to your blog. Viewers need and love to know the nutritional facts. Its a free service that we offer to blogs and recipes we really love. It looks professional and your members will love it.
    Simply visit www.erecipe.com or contact me at michelle@erecipe.com. We look forward having you in our network!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. happyforks.com website is much better than erecipe. It's more detailed and reliable.

      Delete
  13. This looks so dreamy delicious! Trying (yes again!) to touch base with all my favorite bloggers. Off to Pin your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love almond flavoring.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.