Saturday, July 5, 2014

Israeli Couscous, Beet and Spinach Salad

When I was in Rhode Island in the spring, I picked up several lunches at a delicious little place called The Pantry.  It shares space with the wonderful Seven Stars Bakery in the old Rumford Baking Powder factory in Providence.  There is a small eat-in space and, in warm weather, a few tables are scattered about outside.  Mainly a take-out place, they offer an ever-changing variety of salads and entrees.  I had this tasty salad one day and knew it would be a big hit at home as well.

Here is how I think it was prepared.


Israeli Couscous, Beet, Spinach and Feta Salad

2 cups of cooked Israeli couscous
5 medium sized beets, roasted or jarred, cut into 1/2 inch
  pieces and any juice collected with the beets
A handful of baby spinach, fresh (it will wilt as it chills)
Feta cheese

1.  Prepare the couscous according to package directions.
2.  Stir the beets and spinach into the warm couscous, let sit for ten minutes.  Chill.
3.  When ready to serve, sprinkle with feta to taste.

ENJOY!

10 comments:

  1. I just spent five minutes with my friend Google and still don't know what couscous is... i do know now that it comes in a variety, like Israeli but what the heck it is i can not find. a new word for me, I do know what Israeli Mossad is though. LOL from all that reading I do...any how the salad look good and i am sure i would like it and it is very pretty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a pretty color! I am sure it's good..fun to try and recreate a recipe we enjoyed and get it right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm like Sandra---have no idea what couscous is.... BUT--it sounds good, especially since I do love beets.

    Hope you had a good 4th... How did your big puppy do having to hear all of the fireworks around???

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty colors and so healthy too. Lovely lunch Bonnie. I too enjoy recreating dishes I've eaten in favorite restaurants.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  5. The beets make the couscous pink, how beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Israeli couscous! There is a restaurant in downtown Boise, called Fork. They make an incredible salad using Israeli couscous. That was where I discovered it for the first time. And we now have a Whole Foods, and they sell it in the bulk, so I am able to buy it for my own recipes. I will definitely try this, as it sounds wonderful.

    Blessings,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never had couscous, the beets make it very pretty:@)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks like a great salad, Bonnie. I do love beets. Pretty how the couscous picks up the color; I have some in my pantry, will try this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. beets and couscous! now that is a great combo and one I have never thought of before. Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So many of my favorite ingredients.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.