Sunday, September 28, 2014

Chinese Five Spice Shrimp on a Bed of Red Cabbage

The Baker and our boys were away last week.  They had an all-male trip to Poland.  Andrew took care of everything.  I didn't have to do a thing but worry.  Adam would be traveling from San Francisco, Stefan from Boston and Andrew from Chicago.  How on earth were they going to end up in Warsaw within an hour of one another?  They did!  Whew!  They were there.  They were having fun.  I was at home toiling away (those of you who know differently, please don't make mention)!  No worries--until awakening on Friday morning to hear that Midway and O'Hare were closed down and reopening was nowhere in sight!  Time to start worrying again!  Andrew was due into Chicago at 3:20 p.m. on Saturday.  It was time to start checking flight status and figuring out a quick meal for dinner.  It all worked out.  Andrew was half an hour late.  While he unpacked, I put together this delicious recipe.  It was inspired by an appetizer from a favorite neighborhood restaurant, Lucrezia's.  They serve the shrimp over braised red cabbage and add a lemon sauce to the shrimp.  I, instead, used Chinese Five Spice and thought it quite good.


Chinese Five Spice Shrimp on a Bed of Red Cabbage

For 2

1/2 pound medium shrimp, shell and tails removed
2 tsp Chinese Five Spice powder
Salt and pepper to taste
1 Tbsp canola oil
Large clove of garlic, chopped
1/4 cup dry white wine

16 ounce jar of pickled red cabbage

1.  In a saute pan, heat the oil over medium heat.
2.  Dry the shrimp and sprinkle with the Chinese Five Spice, salt and pepper.  Toss to coat evenly.
3.  Add shrimp to the hot oil and sauté for two minutes, turning several times.
4.  Add the chopped garlic to the pan and sauté for one minute longer.
5.  Add the wine and simmer for another minute--just until the shrimp are opaque.
6.  Place about 3/4 cup of the cabbage in a shallow bowl and spoon the shrimp over.

ENJOY!

19 comments:

  1. so glad they all got home safely, i saw the mess of Ohare on TV ... the shrimp looks divine to me..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow--what a trip... Amazing how all three (traveling from different places) could end up in Poland at almost the same time... Tell me though---why did they choose Poland? Work related? Genealogy? I'm just curious... I'm sure it was a fantastic father/sons trip...

    The Shrimp dish sounds GREAT.... I know you are happy now to have them all back home. Did both sons come to your home for a visit???? Hope so.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had heard about the delays and cancellations..Fiou..
    What fun for the boys..did your baker bring you back a surprise?:)
    Love chinese FS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he brought me some lovely amber earrings.

      Delete
  4. The deep red cabbage is just gorgeous with the shrimp!! Oh my, a trip to Poland? Was it business or pleasure?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great way to serve shrimp. I like red cabbage a lot and may try this with another kind of fish. I've never been to Warsaw, but I found beautiful amber in Gdansk.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That really sounds wonderful. I've been buying bags of frozen wild shrimp at Trader Joe's and cooking them with tomatoes and onion and spinach. Then I sprinkle crumbled feta cheese over it and some chopped up mint. So delicious -- but I think I might try your recipe next!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like the guys had an exciting trip! Glad to hear everyone is home safely and it looks like Andrew came home to a nice meal too:@)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad everyone arrived home safely. We saw the news about O'Hare. Lovely meal for a welcome home. You can never go wrong with shrimp.In my opinion.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a great time for the adventurous boys. The airport mess affected some of our plans too--what a thing to happen, who would have guessed. Glad they were coming back on Saturday, not Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a mess at O'Hare, and It sounds like Midway wasn't much better, Your husband probably lucked out since he was on an international flight. Hope they all had a great time and that you enjoyed yours. Love that shrimp and I bet your earrings are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was so happy I wasn't flying over the weekend - too stressful! I hate flying anyway, and that would have made it worse. Although I did see that a Jet Blue plane had to do an emergency landing - like oxygyn masks falling from the ceiling, sliding down the slide to get off the plane. No one was hurt, but I told my husband about it and he said "I heard about it, but there was no way I was telling you about it!"

    Your dish looks delish! Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad everyone made it home safely and had a good time!! ;)

    I made something very similar to this for dinner last night... great minds. Yours does look better! hee hee.

    blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. aw Bonnie I love shrimps and this plate look delicious!.
    Nice they arrived home safe and ok:))

    ReplyDelete
  15. i love the 5 spice in this. It looks so flavorful and the refreshing cabbage pairs perfectly with the heat:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yum!
    I bet that is quite tasty.

    M : )

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.