Yesterday, we joined our friends for King Lear at Chicago Pier's Shakespeare Theater. It was a great performance--tragic as always. Since we are all happily retired, we've changed our tickets to the
1 p.m. performance and stay for the interesting and informative discussion afterwards. Then, we go out for dinner to escape the rush hour traffic. We also had to work around President Obama's motorcade. Air Force One had to land at the Gary International Airport due to the on-going problems at Midway and O'Hare. We were not furnished with the itinerary but thought the President would not be dining at Eataly--a place we've wanted to visit since it opened last year.
There are a number of dining opportunities at Eataly. We decided to try Le Verdure and Il Pesce.
Both offer table service. It was interesting to dine and watch shoppers. There were a number of people wandering about sipping wine and beer while they shopped.
This delicious Italian bread arrived at our table accompanied by a very good olive oil.
Andrew and I shared an appetizer of frito misto. The broccoli, beets, green tomato, carrots and parsnips were lightly breaded and quickly deep fried. It was delicious! Our friends shared the same.
It was followed by very good shrimp in a marinara sauce for Jane and me. Andrew and Jim had another seafood offering which I forgot to photograph. We all gave the food a thumbs up. The ambiance was interesting. The noise level was high.
While I really wanted to try this balsamic vinegar, the price tag was a bit out of our price range!!
Our minds were boggled by the huge offering of cheeses! Those hams were tempting but still hanging when we left.
I picked up a very good coffee to sip on the drive home. We never saw the President or his motorcade and the traffic was with us both ways. It was a very good day.




That looks like a fabulous restaurant. "Wow" is all I can say about that balsamic. Glad you enjoyed your meal...it looks delicious.
ReplyDeleteBalisha
oh wow, what a great place! i wish we had one here! holy moly $288 for balsamic! yikes!!
ReplyDeleteSo is this like a huge Cooks store and grocery store with different restaurants in it? Man, they are combining the best of both worlds, shopping and cooking! I guess you could walk off the calories you consume by walking around shopping. The food looks delicious and very fancy.
ReplyDeleteIt's not a cook's store as far as pots, pans, utensils, etc.. It has more cheeses than you could ever imagine, a wonderful butcher, fresh seafood, pastas (so many pastas), oils, vinegars, bread, candies, and on and on and on! Many areas to purchase food and dine in. We didn't cover half of it in one visit. It is expensive!!
DeleteSounds like you had a great day with friends, fine entertainment and good food. It doesn't get any better than that.
ReplyDeleteSam
Wow---what a neat place... Bet I'd love that cheese... YUM.. Your appetizer looks good--and I'd love the Italian Bread with the Olive Oil...
ReplyDeleteGlad you didn't get into a traffic jam due to the President's visit.
Hugs,
Betsy
Oh your Frito looks mouth watering..as does the bread w/ evoo.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great outing!
So unique to see LE Verdure..Verdure is a feminine word ..meaning ..usually..you would say LA Verdure..
Must mean LE restaurant..Verdure..catchy!
Sounds like a great day to me! And the perfect way to avoid the chaos of a Presidential visit:@)
ReplyDeleteJust walked past the New York Eataly on Monday. I haven't been there yet because the crowds have put me off. But that frito misto might just get me there when the doors open. Looks delicious. On a different note, aren't matinees the best? I go to Lincoln Center theater with a retired friend and we love our afternoons of theater.
ReplyDeleteI visited Chicago's Eataly when I was there this past Spring. It was very much like NYC'S store. I heard LA will be getting one. Dare I hope for one to open someday in Denver?
ReplyDeleteI think a Los Angeles Eataly is opening soon. While it all looks good, it makes me nervous -- even the name sort of irritates me.
ReplyDeleteI went to Eataly once, and it was on a weekend and the wait for any of the restaurants was 90 minutes long - I'll plan ahead next time! I wanted all of the cheese though!
ReplyDeleteno lurking Secret Service guys not doing their job? maybe that is why you did not see the president.. all of your photos came about fantastic in such a low light. love the one of the glassware on the tables
ReplyDeleteOne day, I'd love to go to Eataly! I have to get my husband to take me to Chicago soon :) The frito misto does look amazing and I think I'd pass on that balsamic vinegar too!
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you all had a great time! The food looks delicious. We have been trying to get to Eataly since it opened, but after years of going into the Loop, etc. every day, and then for events, it keeps getting put off. It's great that you enjoyed the play at Navy Pier. That's a fun place too!
ReplyDeleteI am so glad you made it to Eataly. I went opening weekend and it was insane. Did you take anything fun home?
ReplyDeleteFondly,
Glenda
We purchased orzo, two breads and a jar of dried black-eyed peas.
DeleteSounds like a good time was had by all.
ReplyDeleteIt is always good to have fun with friends.
M : )
Great post, Bonnie. Eataly was so much fun to visit. We thought the food was good too and enjoyed looking at all the interesting (and expensive) food items to purchase. I'm looking forward to going back there soon. The closed airports sure posed a problem. I was lucky to fly out the day before they closed. What a mess!
ReplyDeleteYour afternoon and evening sounds delightful! King Lear was my introduction to Shakespeare so many years ago. It is still on the top of my favorites list. Nothing compares to that first production though. Your picture of the bread left my mouth watering.. I hope all is going well wiyh you. Bonnie
ReplyDelete