Saturday, September 20, 2014

Last Weekend of Summer and Heirloom Cherry Tomatoes


We haven't always been midwesterners.  As newlyweds, we made our first home in La Jolla, CA.
La Jolla has, what many would say, the perfect climate.  Just north of San Diego, it is cooled by  Pacific breezes.  Winter isn't much different.  The only time we turned the furnace on was the mid-October day we brought our newborn son home.  We turned it off after a few hours and never turned it on again in the four years we lived there.  I could stand on the upstairs balcony and see snow on the distant mountains in winter.  At Thanksgiving and Christmas, we closed the blinds, lit a fire in the fireplace and pretended there was snow.  I, who grew up in the Shenandoah Valley, missed the changing seasons--a lot!

This summer has reminded me of those La Jolla days.  Only a few days registered a 90 degree temperature.  We've enjoyed having windows open instead of turning on the air conditioning.  The rains have been enough to keep the grass green.  Only pots of plants have needed watering.  Vegetable farmers have had a rough go because the weather has not been conducive to growing many things.  My favorite farmer has been able to keep us supplied with enough tomatoes to make me happy.  This is the last weekend of summer.  The next farmers' market will be in early June.  No more of these jeweled heirloom cherry tomatoes until then.


Wishing you all a great end-of-summer weekend.  May your football team win unless they are playing my team.  May you have the last of summer's bountiful fruits and vegetables on your table!!

17 comments:

  1. our farmers market will open the last Saturday of this month... and run all through the winter...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous tomatoes-enjoy! This has truly been a very mild summer here in Philly too, I only hope winter is as kind:@)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So this is the last weekend for the Market? How sad. I know about Heirlooms, and I know about cherry tomatoes, but Heirloom Cherry? Never knew, never heard of them.But they DO look jeweled! I think we do not have them, because I am always looking over them here. Maybe in Whole Foods. I love your stories about California.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful bowl of precious jewels...

    I'm going to be making my fall visit the last week in October just in case you are in your old stomping grounds around then... would love to grab a cup of coffee/tea! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  5. I for one am going to miss summer. It is by far my favorite season, Plus all of the homegrown tomatoes and vine ripped peaches. My love of summer probably explains why we follow the sun wherever it goes.
    sam

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty tomatoes! But what I'll miss most of all is the sweet corn. sigh. Happy Fall!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will miss THIS kind of summer . . . Really perfect in my book.
    Now don't hate me . . . I am looking toward to winter. Still my favorite . . .

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can never eat too many tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful. We planted a row of them and have been daily plucking about eight to ten for the last 3 weeks. Somehow these cherries tomatoes remind me of Mr Weatherbee from Archie :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like it when you talk about your heirloom tomatoes. Such a beautiful photo and gorgeous richness in their colors!

    ReplyDelete
  11. California is on my bucket list to visit someday - I think I would love the temps there!

    Since it's my husbands birthday today, I hope the Bears don't suck ass! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. CA weather is great. You're right on spot about the summer here, and it's downright chilly today. Our farmers' markets haven't been so good this summer so lucky you with those great tomatoes!

    GO BEARS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh your tomatoes look great- its sad to see them go for now at least. But here is to the fun new and delicious hearty veggies for the fall!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the color of your heirloom tomatoes, Bonnie. They must taste so good! I have lots of NYC things to blog about from a few trips I made this year, but I'm saving those posts for the cold snowy days of winter when I don't get out here--lol! Autumn color has already arrived here--the aspens are all a glorious shade of gold.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wishing you a wonderful fall season too. Catherine

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.