Thursday, November 6, 2014

Cream of Asparagus Soup and The Good, The Bad and The Ugly


Here goes--and not necessarily in order of my title.  I had such great plans for my "social media break".  I'd planned to clean out the pantry, the refrigerator and the freezer.  I would make delicious dishes to share with you.  Let's start with day one, last Thursday.  THE BAD:  The downstairs furnace wasn't working.  It was cold.  I called our furnace company.  They'd send someone out first thing Friday.  Uh no, The Baker would be at his once a week job.  THE GOOD:  I would be heading out early for a one-on-one class for my Apple devices, a stop at the bookstore and then lunch with friends.  THE UGLY:  When I left the house, big snowflakes were falling.  A mile north, it started to rain.  The rain turned to sleet.  The sleet turned back to snow.  Gale force winds rocked my vehicle.  I finally pulled off the road into a church parking lot.  Should I turn back?  Should I seek refuge in the church?  Should I keep going?  I don't even think the US Post Office would have kept going.  In the end, the lunch with my ladies enticed me to continue on through the rapidly changing weather.  I had my class, visited the book store and met Diana and Jane for a warm, cozy and delicious lunch.

Despite the weather, we had twenty-five adorable trick-or-treaters at our door.  Before they arrived, I pulled this reminder of spring from the freezer.  So, I guess I accomplished a small portion of what I had planned--one less soup container in the freezer.

And, once again, this morning we awoke to a non-working furnace!









Cream of Fresh Asparagus Soup

3 Tbsp of salted butter
24 spears of fresh asparagus
1 cup chopped scallions (include part of the green)
1/2 tsp finely chopped garlic
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 medium potato, peeled and cut into large dice
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup milk
1 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup heavy cream

1.  Slice the asparagus spears into about one inch pieces.  Melt the butter in a deep heavy pan.  Add the asparagus, scallions, garlic, potato and lemon juice.  Season with salt and pepper.  Cover the pan and cook very slowly until mushy.
2.  Turn off the heat and stir in the chicken stock.  Turn the heat on to low and continue to stir until the soup comes to  boil.  Simmer for ten minutes.  Remove from the heat and puree with a hand-held blender or in a regular blender.  Return to heat and mix in the milk and heavy cream   Heat to a simmer and serve.

ENJOY!

21 comments:

  1. Oh how I understand furnace woes... I hope it gets fixed for you ASAP! Your soup does sound very good, much better than the leftover mix-mash I'm having today:@)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, i am surprised you continued on in all that, even better than the mail man.. sorry about the furnace... you have major cold on the way the middle of next week, hope it is ready

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's Murphy's law..Plan a holiday..and everything happens!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The soup is perfect for warmth and comfort. Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh mercy! That drive to meet friends for lunch sounded scary! Glad you were able to still go! We ladies need our lunch dates with friends!!!
    The soup looks yummy! Hope the furnace gets fixed soon!!!!!!
    XO Kris

    ReplyDelete
  6. The soup looks so good, especially when the furnace is not working! How can you stand it, do you have a space heater? Well, it you were over the halfway point, you might as well go onward. BUT you are B-R-A-V-E. I would have run for the church and cowered under a pew...er, make that a cowering coward.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a week Bonnie. I would have frozen. You more than deserve a nice bowl of soup.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, you've had a week of challenges. I hope the furnace is now fixed for good! This is one of my favorite soups of all time, especially with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice for good measure. So comforting...

    ReplyDelete
  9. YIKES on the furnace. I hope that problem gets solved without too much expense!
    The asparagus soup sounds and looks delicious!
    Thanks for the recipe . . .
    I think it was you that posted the Apple Nut Bars . . . they were a hit at our family event this past Friday!
    VERY, VERY GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, crazy weather. My daughter told me about the snow on Halloween. I'm happy you were able to make it to your lunch with friends. I haven't made asparagus soup in years. Thanks for the reminder of how good it is.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry about your furnace and horrible weather.. As you know, we got some of that crazy, winter weather here too.... Glad you did make it to your class and lunch with friends...

    The Asparagus Soup sounds GREAT. I haven't any in years... Love it.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  12. There aren't many places I HAVE to be but this week I HAD to be at a continuing education class for a license and, when I went to start my car - no battery. Thankfully, DH was able to let me use his car!

    Hope your furnace gets fixed soon but I'm glad you got to go to lunch with your friends.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wish some of that was in my freezer to pull out! Hope your furnace starts behaving soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh dear sorry about your furnace and the crazy weather.Only Ihope you had good things like lunch with your friends!
    I love your asparagus soup:)
    Welcome again Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my! The promise of of warm cozy bookstore to browse would have kept me going...I do hope your heater is repaired soon. Stay warm! Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  16. ✿彡
    Olá!
    Passei para conhecer o seu blog e suas receitas.
    Não sei cozinhar e por isso tento aprender visitando blogs.
    Amei a receita porque gosto dos ingredientes.

    Bom fim de semana!
    Beijinhos do Brasil.
    ✿♫° ·.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My Mom's furnace just went out a month ago - luckily the temps were in the 50s overnight, otherwise I would have had her stay with us until they could replace it - which was five long days!

    We had all of three trick or treaters - so sad!

    I love the idea of that soup - even though I can eat soup all year round, I especially love it this time of year. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The best laid plans . . . it sounds like all I planned to do while I recovered from surgery. I slept instead. I hope your house is warm and cozy by now. What crazy weather.

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh i hate to hear the bad and the ugly but I love hearing the good and the soup looks fantastic. I am so sorry for the trouble with the weather and now the furnace but praying it all gets better really really soon!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hope all is well now, when it rains it pours. The furnace of one of our sons went out a couple of days ago, the repairman was there at midnight when it was in the 20's. Cold and snowy here today, now the driveway and street is covered. OMG!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hope your furnace woes are resolved!! It is so frustrating when you think it is repaired only to find it wasn't!

    We had a cool, rainy Halloween in Roanoke... fortunately for our little trick-or-treaters, not nearly as cold as you had! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.