Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Pasta with Chicken and Sun Dried Tomatoes

I am finally back on track for the big fall food clean out!  Even though I've done this on a small scale for years, Nathalie Dupree inspired me to be serious about the purge each fall and spring.  Do you all y'all know Nathalie?  I first "met" her through PBS's "New Southern Cooking with Nathalie" on Saturday mornings while living in Charleston.  Ironically, she moved to Charleston about the same time we moved away.  The author of a number of southern-style cookbooks, Nathalie continues to be very much involved in the culinary world.  I enjoy keeping up with her on Facebook.

Our first meal from what was on hand was inspired by a recipe I saw on La Table De Nana.  Monique had shared the recipe that she found on another blog and it sounded delicious.  Going with what I had, a few changes were made (chicken thighs instead of breast tenders, radiatori pasta instead of penne and an ounce or two more on the sun-dried tomatoes).  It turned out to be a tasty meal that will be repeated.



Pasta with Chicken, Mozzarella and Sun-Dried Tomatoes
Serves 4

2 TBSP olive oil
3 large garlic cloves, minced
4-5 ounces sun-dried tomatoes, roughly chopped
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken thighs,  cut into bite-sized pieces
1 cup half and half
1 cup mozzarella, shredded
8 oz pasta.  I used radiatori
Fresh basil, as much as you like
Red pepper flakes to taste
Salt to taste

1.  Over high heat, saut√©  the garlic and sun-dried tomatoes in the olive oil for one minute until the garlic is fragrant.  Remove from the pan, leaving the oil.  Add the chicken and cook on high heat for one minute on each side.  Remove from heat and cover the pan.
2.  Cook the pasta according to instructions.  Reserve a bit of the pasta water in case the sauce is too thick.
3.  Add the tomatoes and garlic back to the chicken.  Add the half and half along with the cheese.  Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.  When the boil is attained, immediately lower the heat and continue to stir until a smooth sauce is obtained.  This will only take a minute or less.  Taste and add salt as needed.  Stir in red pepper flakes to taste.  If the sauce seems too thick, add a bit of the pasta water.  Our's was perfect without it.
4.  Stir in the drained pasta and heat, stirring for one minute.

ENJOY!

17 comments:

  1. mouth is watering now.. yummmmy....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Nathalie Dupree, and have often wondered, what happened to her? I will look her up on FB! We are doing the same thing this past week, as our fridge went out!!! I am cooking up all sorts of interesting combinations of things!!! Your pasta looks delicious, and I know I have a jar of sun dried tomatoes!! And I always have pasta!!! Yum!!!
    XO Kris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I know whats for supper! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks wonderful! Many years ago I watched a show like this on P.B.S. and wonder if it was the same lady. She was maybe in her thirties or forties, small and blonde. Had a very calming voice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds great.... It's certainly good to get rid of stuff in our fridges and freezers--after awhile... We do a pretty good job of that since we don't have an over-abundance of freezer or fridge space... BUT--it's a good idea.

    Your recipe sounds really really good. We eat ALOT of chicken --so I'm sure we will try this recipe. THANKS.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks and sounds delicious, creamy and full of good flavors, perfect for cooler weather. Sounds like a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your pasta looks creamy & delicious Bonnie. I remember Natalie from her cooking shows on PBS. Pat Conroy wrote a delightfully funny story about taking Natalie's cooking class in his "Pat Conroy Cookbook." If you haven't read it, you should. Natalie is quite a character.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Bonnie..yours looks DELICIOSO!

    Do you miss Charleston?
    Such a pretty place..Hope to actually stop one year and visit..
    Sun dried tomatoes are definitely a taste I enjoy in meals~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a lot about Charleston that I miss. However, climate is not one of them. I have to admit that I prefer Chicago over Charleston.

      Delete
  9. Looks like a very nice meal, bet it was great:@)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I need to do the same thing! Hope that what I come up with looks half as good as this. It looks like the perfect comfort food! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds delicious and a nice one dish meal, Bonnie. I'm also Natalie ' s friend on Facebook --she is always entertauning!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have bookmarked that same recipe to try :) I does look delicious and I like your changes too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks delicious, Bonnie! I hope to be inspired to do a big clean out next spring... we are still in too much chaos for me to tackle it now! LOL! Though the move DID cause a purge of sorts. I hope whenever I do tackle it, I will come up with some dishes even half this good looking! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bonnie look really delicious! I love sun dried tomatoes !

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.