Monday, January 19, 2015

Filet Mignon with Mushroom Wine Sauce

Let's see, I'm about a week post hot dog and still enjoying the memory.  I do believe that The Baker enjoyed his as well.  On that hunch, I packaged the remaining four and froze them  for both of us to savor another lunch time.  Maybe I'll even make some cole slaw to add to the Chicago-style fixings.  I might even make some fries.

It would be remiss of me not to share my real birthday dinner with you.  While I sipped a glass of Pinot Grigio and watched the news, Andrew banged bustled around the kitchen preparing a feast.  He said it was a very easy meal.  While the potato was baking (and, he's mastered the art of preparing that potato with a soft, creamy inside and a crisp skin on the outside), he prepared a salad and the star of the meal--a perfectly cooked filet mignon.  Topped with a mushroom wine sauce, it was delicious.

I might mention to him that this would be a perfect Valentine's dinner.  Or maybe I should take that idea and prepare it for him.  What do you think?



Filet Mignon with Mushroom Wine Sauce inspired by the Chicago Tribune
Serves two

2 filet mignon steaks, about 6 ounces each, brushed with canola oil and lightly salt and pepper
1 Tbsp canola oil for pan
1 Tbsp butter
6 ounces sliced baby portabellos  (or your choice)
1/4 cup dry red wine
1/2 cup beef broth
1/4 cup heavy cream

1.  Turn the oven to 500.  Place a well-seasoned cast iron skillet in the oven while it is preheating.  When oven is preheated, remove the pan to a burner turned on high.  Add a tablespoon of canola oil to the pan.  Add the steaks and cook for one minute on each side.   Place the skillet back in the oven for 6 minutes, turning the steaks after three minutes.  Remove from oven and placed steaks on a warm platter.  Cover and let rest while making the sauce.
2.  Melt the butter in the skillet over medium heat; add the mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until they are golden brown--about 5 minutes.  Remove from the pan and set aside.
3.  Pour the wine into the pan, raise the heat to medium high and cook, stirring to deglaze the pan.  Stir in the beef broth.  Cook until the sauce is reduced by 1/2 and is syrupy.  This will take about five minutes.  Lower the heat and stir in the cream.  Return the mushrooms to the sauce and cook for another minute.  Pour the sauce over the steaks and serve.

ENJOY!

15 comments:

  1. While I think it would be very nice of you to prepare this for The Baker for Valentine's Day, it sure would be nice to enjoy his work again!! =) I sure think I would cheer him on if he'd make it for you.

    I may need to consider making it for Evan... as I'm pretty sure I'm outta luck on his preparing it for me. You're a lucky lady, Bonnie! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, this all sounds dreamy to me. I bet you didn't even have to do the dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. aww Bonnie Look delicious I love filet with champignons!!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since it will be Valentines Day, maybe the two of you should cook it together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now, why didn't I think of that? Maybe I could do the steak and he could do the dessert.

      Delete
  5. Ah, one of my favorite dinners in the world. It would make an excellent Valentines Day dinner and how fun you are thinking of surprising Andrew with the same dinner he prepared for you. I second Ginny's idea above to prepare it together. We cook together almost all of the time.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of the first didhes my husband made for me was very similar to this.
    I didn't know a thing about cooking and baking.
    It looks romantic to me because of the memories:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. the only beef I like is burger and Filet Mignon. this looks delish... because of your post, we had hotdogs for lunch yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh my! Now that is a filet! It looks amazingly rich and delicious. Perfectly cooked and i love that mushroom wine sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful birthday dinner! (Though the hot dogs sound awfully good too!) Happy birthday, though a bit late. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, isn't Andrew a gem? He cooked the entire dinner for you and it looks fabulous! Happy Birthday to you!
    I do love mushrooms...they don't even need to be in a sauce. love them sauteed and dumped all over my steak. (A little roasted garlic on the side doesn't hurt either. :) )
    Re: hot dogs. Yes, sometimes nothing else will do. With the works. Not often, but once in a while. My mother actually used to slice them and add them to lentil soup!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Perfect, perfect, it's my kind of meal! A great Valentine's meal for you to make him! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It would make a good meal ANYTIME!!
    I laughed at your hot dog picture--glad you finally got one.

    M :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that he made this for you! This is the kind of meal I make for my family on special occasions, although my husband will grill the whole tenderloin outside for me - that's about the extent of his expertise :) Congrats on having such a special meal prepared for your birthday. Maybe he does deserve a treat for Valentines's Day ♥

    ReplyDelete
  14. OH My Heart.... As much as I love hot dogs (I DO) ---I would love your 'real' Birthday Dinner... You'll have to share your hub's secret to making really good baked potatoes....

    Gosh--as I sit here eating some beef pot roast soup, my mouth is watering for that Filet Mignon dinner. YUM.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.