Sunday, January 25, 2015

Just Plain Chili

If ever there was a day for a steaming bowl of chili, today is the day.  This morning, Andrew greeted me with a cup of coffee and news that the downstair's furnace is out.  Ugh!  We have both furnaces checked and serviced every autumn to try and prevent such an occurrence.  The fireplace and a space heater will have to keep us warm until a technician can come out.

This chili "guide" is basically my mother's.  It comes from my memory because she rarely wrote any recipe down.  Mother used green bell peppers but Andrew doesn't like them so I use red, orange or yellow--sometimes all three.  Mother used garlic powder.  In fact, I never saw fresh garlic in her kitchen.  She didn't like her chili to be too thick.  Neither do I.  I like to add corn if I have it.  Add more chili and cumin if you like.  Or less.  The recipe is very adaptable and very tasty.

Now to go dig out another pair of socks!!



Just Plain Chili serves 6 to 8

2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 large sweet onion (Vidalia, Walla Walla if possible)
1 medium red bell pepper, diced
3 Tbsp minced garlic
2 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp ground cumin
2 pounds ground chuck
28 oz can diced tomatoes
14 ounce can tomato sauce
1 15 ounce can dark red kidney beans and a l5 ounce can of pink kidney beans, drained and rinsed.
Salt and papper to taste

Toppings:  Seeded and chopped jalape├▒os, grated cheddar and/or Monterrey Jack cheese, sliced green onions, chopped avocados, fritos and sour cream.

1.  Heat in the oil in a large, heavy pan.  Add the onions and bell pepper and stir frequently until the onions are opaque, 3 to 4 minutes.
2.  Add the garlic, chili powder and cumin.  Stir for one minute.  Add the ground chuck, breaking up and stirring until the meat is lightly browned, about five minutes.
3.  Add the tomatoes and their juice, tomato sauce and the beans.  Salt and pepper to taste.
4.  Bring to a simmer, reduce the heat and cover.  Cook for about 45 minutes.
5.  Cool and refrigerate overnight if possible.  This is a dish that improves when reheated.
6.  Serve in heated bowls and pass the toppings.

ENJOY!

22 comments:

  1. this is my mothers recipe minus the cumin... and how i make mine to. mine is minus green peppers because bob doesn't want them in it.. we make ours milder than most,just a tiny bit of heat.. good idea to have it today when your furnace is not working and doesn't it always happen on the week end

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh NO! And of course all disasters happen on a weekend. Looks like you could eat nothing better to warm yourselves. I am glad you at least have some alternative form of heat. You have TWO furnaces??? So then you will have one floor that is warm? You must have a huge house! Speaking of your house...when spring comes, I would love another post showing your beautiful porch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is more economical to have two furnaces and air conditioners when you have a two-story house. Well, after the initial expensive of course.

      Delete
  3. Your just plain chili looks just plain good! I love red bell peppers in mine too. :) Hope you get your furnace fixed quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect day for chili. I hope you can get your furnace repaired and working soon. Does Oliver snuggle?
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw on your fb that you have no heat. Hope it gets repaired soon, it sounds like you have some bad weather too, at least from the news. The chili looks good. Stay warm if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very similar to the way I make my chili too! Sorry to hear you are having to huddle close to the fire to keep warm. Hope you can get that fixed soon. We are having some very Spring like weather here. I know it must sound lovely, but oh how I wish we had a real honest to goodness winter!!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had to chuckle, I never saw fresh garlic in Ma or either Grandmom's kitchen either. Today I couldn't imagine my kitchen without it! Love chili and mine is very similar to yours, although I do use garlic powder... Hope the furnace gets fixed soon-stay warm:@)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds good on this very cold day!
    Chili recipes seem to abound . . . I always go back to "my moms" recipe and so far it is the favorite of us all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw on social media that you furnace woes are solved. Now back to enjoying chili.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There is nothing like a steaming bowl of chili on a cold day... especially when the furnace is out! Hope they get it repaired soon!! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's a dish I like too..
    Keep warm..it's well below 0F here..we have the fire going..coldest winter in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing and warm greetings from Montreal, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love chili...I made black bean chili last week, corn is always in that one. My son's family likes rice with their chili so I now do that too.
    Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I bet this delicious looking chili warmed you both up. Saw on FB your heat was back, that's a wonderful thing. Mom and my MIL both made sweet chili, probably no garlic. Chili won me over the first time I had it packed with heat and lots of chili powder, thick and over spaghetti with shredded cheddar on top. In fact, I just had it leftover for lunch today. Stay warm and keep on cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Funny how we've been in a really strong mood for chili too! It's just such comfort food and there are so many great recipes! We like ours super hot and my mother just about gags! I like the simplicity of your recipe Bonnie! Stay warm!
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm making chili for Superbowl Sunday! It's a wonderful comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That looks like a perfect meal on a cold weather. That should help battle the cold while the furnace is out. I wonder what’s wrong with your furnace. For something that you regularly check, it’s strange that it breaks too often. I hope that’s the last time it went out in the middle of the winter.

    Levi Eslinger @ Capital Plumbing

    ReplyDelete
  18. That looks delicious! It seems like the perfect comfort food to munch on while the furnace is out. I hope the technician fixed that soon after, since you could only warm yourselves up with chili, space heaters, and socks for so long. Have a nice day!

    Brett Rogers @ Flame Furnace

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! I bet that tastes delicious! I think adding corn would actually be great, as it could add an extra flavor and color to it. Anyway, how are things doing with your furnace? I hope that it was repaired soon after. Thanks for sharing your chili recipe with us. Cheers!


    Tommy Hopkins @ AccuTemp

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.