Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Blizzard of 2015 and Pumpkin Soup

In the deep mid-winter, when a blizzard comes to call....soup is best of all.  

I didn't intend for that sentence to rhyme!  Being snow-bound has brought out the poet in me.  According to news sources, we had a weekend blizzard.  I'm surprised at this.  By this time last year, I'm sure we had at least several more feet of snow.  It didn't all come down at once,  but it was all on the ground at once.  It was a real surprise to wake up Sunday morning with no electricity.  It wasn't particularly windy and the snow was not yet heavy enough to cause outages.  All ended well when the power came back on around 7:30 a.m. and I had my first (second and third) cup of coffee.  

During the outage, my mind raced thinking about how to use up food in the refrigerator and freezer in case it was a long event.  I figured we could just haul everything outside since the temperature was in single digits.  The soups in the freezer could be heated on our gas cooktop.  I decided that the lone container of pumpkin soup would be our lunch.  It is such a good soup that I wish there were more containers for the next blizzard.  Fortunately, around here one can purchase canned and frozen pumpkin year around.  


Winter Pumpkin Soup

1 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 cloves of garlic chopped
1 large carrot, peeled and rough chopped
1 cup onion, rough chopped
3 cups chicken broth
2 cups pumpkin puree (can used canned)
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup half and half or whole milk (or, be really decadent and use heavy cream).

1.  In a large pot, heat the butter and oil.  Add the onion and sauté until it is translucent.  Add the garlic and sauté another minute.  Add the carrot, stirring well.
2.  Stir in the broth and bring to a boil over medium heat.  Cover and simmer until the carrot is tender, about 15 minutes.
3.  Add the pumpkin and taste for seasoning.  Add salt and pepper as desired.  Cover and simmer for another 10 minutes.
3.  Remove from heat and cool slightly.
4.  Puree until smooth using an immersion blender right in the pot.  Or, puree in batches in a food processor.  Return to the pot and stir in the half and half.

ENJOY!

18 comments:

  1. Soups are great in winter..like salads in summer:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! In summer, though, I like cold soups--and hot on occasion.

      Delete
  2. that is one advantage of freezing temps, keeping the food frozen on the front porch.. we only eat soup on the winter, our summers are way to hot for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a nice photo of your soup. I'm glad your power came on so you could get that coffee, and not have to haul the food outside!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in Cannon Beach, OR and enjoying the Pacific Ocean, but a little sad to miss the snow. I love staying in and watching the snow fall.

    I am sure it will still be around when I get home, so I will make this soup then. Have you ever purchased Trader Joe's organic canned pumpkin? It is so good.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have purchased TJ's organic pumpkin. It is my second choice. First choice is to freeze the puree from "pie" pumpkins in late fall.

      Delete
  5. I do not like pumpkin. BUT this looks so beautiful, and the recipe so easy that I think i will try it! And maybe I will love it!! I am excited to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you don't like pumpkin, try substituting sweet potatoes.

      Delete
  6. pumpkin soup sounds good to me regardless if there is a blizzard or not but i hate that you got snowed in. No fun unless your eating amazing dishes like this one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't mind being snowed in as long as we have the goodies needed.
    Food, Tea, Chocolate and TP.

    M :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. No snow here yet, but I'm almost afraid to wish for it! We don't have nifty snow removal here in VA like you do, and my driveway is looooonnngg. I do have some pumpkin in my freezer though, so it appears that I'm all set for a blizzard! That soup looks really good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gosh I am hungry now after visiting with you tonight or I guess I should say this morning. It's after midnight.
    I have never tried pumpkin soup but after seeing this post I have to buy some pumpkin and try it.
    I can't imagine all the snow you guys are getting. No electricity would panic me especially since I can't use my fireplaces and only have all electric heat. haha
    I have missed you. Stay warm and cozy.
    Love
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you're being philosophical about the blizzard and snow Bonnie. I might not be as good a sport. A perfect soup for your weather and thank goodness for gas cook tops.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you got to have your coffee!! And, pumpkin soup fills the bill perfectly for this kind of day. Stay warm and safe. blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, I thought I had answered this one--but probably did it on Facebook instead (telling you the story about getting pumpkin soup spilled all over me)... ha ha

    You all have certainly had a wicked winter so far. We have not AT ALL.... So far --other than being normally cold this time of year, we have had very little snow... I would like a little (not too much though). ha...

    Stay WARM and stay SAFE.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bonnie, I hope you are having a bit of a break soon. We have not had but a dusting. I wouldn't mind a snow day or two.....The soup looks yummy. Stay warm! Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, we had much more snow last year! Even though we set a record for February 2 it wasn't the worse we've ever had. I'm glad you power came on before too long. I'm not sure how I'd get by without my morning coffee - especially if I couldn't get out to Starbucks :) Your soup looks perfect for a winter night!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.