Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Fettuccine With Prosciutto

We have heat upstairs!  Oliver is back up there on his cushy doggie bed situated in front of a heat vent.  I'm back to poking around the refrigerator, freezer and pantry finishing up the fall clean out.  Yes, you read that correctly.  I had planned to follow Nathalie Depree's lead in doing both a fall and spring clean out.  As usual, I got distracted!  I have whittled down my pasta collection though.  There was just enough fettuccine to make a dish for two.  Small pieces of Gruyere and Parmesan were in the cheese drawer.  Peas were in the freezer.  Cook's Illustrated arrived and there was a recipe that sounded delicious (don't they all?).  I picked up some prosciutto and made this platter of goodness.  While I'm sure the original recipe would be heavenly, I did alter it a bit.  Halving it for two, I switched out half and half for heavy cream, sliced the shallot instead of mincing it and added the garlic.  It is not diet food by any means.  In the dead of winter, however, one (or two) needs a special treat once in awhile.


Fettuccine With Prosciutto inspired by Cook's Illustrated

For 2

4 ounces thin sliced prosciutto
1 Tbsp butter
1 shallot, thinly sliced
1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
1 cup half and half
1/2 pound fettuccine
1 cup frozen green peas, defrosted
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
1/2 cup Gruyere cheese, grated
Freshly ground pepper

1.  Shred the prosciutto into bite-sized pieces.  Melt the butter over medium-low heat, in a heavy skillet large enough to hold the pasta at the end.  Add the shallot and stir, breaking up into rings, until beginning to soften, about 3 minutes and add the garlic for another minute.  Stir in the half and half and the prosciutto.  Simmer, stirring often, until the mixture is slightly reduced, about 5 minutes.  Remove from heat and cover.
2.  Prepare the pasta according to package directions.  Drain the pasta, reserving 1/2 cup of the pasta water.
3.  Stir the peas and cheeses into the cream mixture.  Stir in the hot pasta water.  Add the pasta. Toss to coat completely and serve immediately.

ENJOY!


21 comments:

  1. I agree in winter we need heartier meals:) Looks good..Can't go wrong w/ CI..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Makes me want to head into the kitchen and start cooking. And it looks so pretty. Glad your heat is back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I always substitute half and half for heavy cream, too, Bonnie. I know my husband would love to be served this one evening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi There, Looks delicious. We NEVER use heavy cream--so the half and half would work great. Thanks for the recipe.

    Stay WARM.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my this looks good! I have printed it, and I will be trying it as soon as I can get out of the house (we are iced in, and maybe more coming tomorrow). I cannot eat beef, so will replace it with maybe chicken or tuna or something else. You posted a salmon and pasta dish long ago, and that is a favorite here, too. I make it a lot. So glad you now have two story heat!! It took them long enough! Was this the one that they fixed before? I hope they gave you a discount!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad all is back to normal your way, Bonnie, and that Oliver is on his cushy bed! I need prosciutto for this, it sounds like a great pasta dish for this cold weather! Have a good rest of the week and stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear that you have heat and are eating well! Enjoy:@)

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I don't get snowed in, I will be picking up the ingredients for this on Thursday. Thank you for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yep, this is definitely "dead of the Winter" yummies.

    M : )
    .

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my....yum! We have been iced in the last two days. I was out of town, so didn't have a chance to prepare. This would be perfect. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You need that yummy comfort food to help keep you warm in the winter! So glad your heat is back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pure COMFORT!!! Yes, we NEED comfort in the midst of cold. Glad to know Oliver (and his folks) have heat! ;) blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  13. that looks delicious and I love the salty proscuitto. It makes everything better:))

    ReplyDelete
  14. With your Chicago winters and all of the problems you've had with the heat, you deserve a LOT of treats. So glad to hear everything is working now.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  15. Delicious and comforting for these cold days and nights!
    I try to use everything up too. xoxo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my, I like everything about this dish...looks delicious! Glad you're warm again...really cold in S. Florida today. I'm fighting turning heat on!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is one of my all-time favorite pasta dishes, although I've had to resort to bacon sometimes. (Poor baby.)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes, we do need a pasta treat in this weather. Spaghetti Carbonara is on my menu tomorrow night, and I have been trying to cook out of pantry and freezer this winter. It helps the purse when bad weather keeps our men from being able to work on jobs.

    Did you mean Nathalie Dupree? I didn't realize many knew of her today. I have all of her books, I think, and love her recipes as well as her sass! I love that many of her cookbooks read like novels. So glad to meet another fan of hers!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a winter to have those problems! We just returned from a short vacation and were lucky enough to be staying in the warmest place in the whole country. What a shock to come back to -7! I can't imagine not having heat or a car window that wouldn't go up in this weather. Definitely time for some comforting pasta!! This sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.