Monday, February 23, 2015

Paella Soup and The Academy Awards

We haven't watched the Academy Awards in years.  I did enjoy catching up this morning on who wore what, who won what and realized that we've only seen two of the movies and probably won't see more

This paella soup is award winning!  I found the recipe in Sunday Soup by Betty Rosbottom.  Betty has long been one of my favorite cookbook authors and teachers.  She has never let me down in anything I've tried.  The recipe serves four.  As you can see, I divided the base and froze it for another day.  The other half, we had that evening.  I served the rest when two friends came for lunch later.  It was still delicious!  I did make a few changes.  One was substituting half and half for heavy cream.  Traditionally, paella also has chicken.  I had none and left it out this time.


Admittedly, the saffron is a bit costly.  I had just a few threads left from last year--enough for the soup.  It adds a distinctive flavor and I'd hate to have you skip it.  Saffron keeps for quite awhile.



Paella Soup inspired by Sunday Soup by Betty Rosbottom

1 Tbsp olive oil
1 cup roughly chopped sweet onion
1/2 cup roughly chopped carrots
1/2 cup roughly chopped celery
1/4 cup long grain white rice
1/4 tsp saffron threads, crushed
1/2 cup dry white wine
4 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup half and half
Salt and pepper to taste if needed
1 pound large uncooked shrimp, shelled and deveined
3 ounces chorizo sausage, cut into thin rounds
1 cup fresh or frozen peas
1/4 cup chopped parsley for topping if desired

1.  Heat oil in a heavy pan over medium heat.  Add onion, carrot and celery and sauté until softened, about 3 minutes.
2.  Add rice, saffron, wine and stock.  Bring to a simmer.  Reduce heat, cover and cook until the vegetables are soft, about 20 minutes.
3.  Puree the soup in the pot with an immersion blender or in batches in the food processor and return to the pot.  Stir in the half and half.  Here, I divided the soup and froze half.
4.  To the other half, I brought to a simmer and added little more than half of shrimp and half the chorizo (for the two of us) and all the peas.  Simmer until the shrimp have turned pink, about 3 minutes.  Taste and season with salt if needed.
5.  Ladle into warmed bowl and sprinkle with chopped parsley and/or chopped green onion tops.

ENJOY!


25 comments:

  1. anything with shrimp is a winner with me... i am off to look up saffron threads and see what it looks like.. i watched an hour of red carpet and most of Good morning america of the Oscars this morning. i have not seen any of the movies and don't know but maybe 5 of the stars if that, so not fun to watch. i do want to know what Birdman is about since it was the big winner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The soup looks warm and wonderful for this time of year. I would have leave out the saffron as my husband is allergic...throat closing allergic... I'm saving this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Bonnie, by all means leave it out!! I think the soup will still be very tasty.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I have to say that life was even better than the photo!

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a hearty lunch, I love the pretty color of the broth:@)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the perfect lunch. I wish I had another batch in the freezer.

      Delete
  5. I love this soup!!! Look amazing!
    I was seen the Oscars award yesterday too.
    i saw one of the movies and I love it: Birdman!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is really beautiful and fancy. I did not watch the Oscars, except the end while waiting for the news. Unbelievable that we did not see even ONE of the movies. Makes me feel really old! I am so out of it now with the actors and the music. And I used to LIVE for music, I still have over 100 C.D.'s. But then rap came along and ruined everything. Gosh, I sound like my mother when the Stones came out. I think I am rambling now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginny: My mother felt that the Beatles weren't worth watching. They were so unkempt with their slightly long hair--nevermind they wore suits and ties.

      Delete
  7. This is a stunning soup! All the lovely flavors of paella in soup form. Saffron is pricey but it does go a long way. I think I got my last bottle of it at Marshall's. I didn't watch the Oscars- I hardly ever do. We seldom go to the movies anymore, but wait until we can get a movie we want at home. Guess I'm getting old! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought to look for saffron at Marshall's. Thank for the tip!!

      Delete
  8. Oh boy does that soup look good!!!! We watched the awards, and thought it was good. I usually go to a party with my girlfriends. We all bring food, and vote, and have a great time. But I had to stay at home this time, with my awful coughing.
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are still coughing? Oh dear! Hope it is all gone soon.

      Delete
  9. Some of my favorite things - shrimp, chorizo, peas and saffron. I always have a small container of saffron, so when a recipe like this comes along, I'm ready. We watched the beginning of the awards, then fell asleep. His acceptance speech was one of the few we saw. Movies, for the most apart, don't appeal to us anymore. Too much thriller, action, & killing, and what's left is usually is for children. Guess we're a bit old, but my husband wanted to see American Sniper and we enjoyed it. Made us feel patriotic. I would like to see Judi Dench's new movie when it comes out in April. We still watch old re-runs of her show "As Time Goes By" with Nigel and laugh and laugh.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We see very few movies at the theater. We do enjoy some foreign and oldies at home.

      Delete
  10. This looks like a perfect meal for the cold! Such a beautiful, rich color! thank you, Bonnie. We haven't watched the Oscars in years either... and had only seen American Sniper. Much more fun to read or knit. ;) blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. You really have to get on the Downton Abbey scene! Even if only to discuss it--sort of like having to read Harry Potter (which I have not read).

      Delete
  11. I love paella so know I would love this soup. Downton Abbey just gets better and better. The clothes this season are gorgeous. I agree that the new movies are not at all appealing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The clothes are wonderful! I almost wish those styles would come back.

      Delete
  12. ummm....we love this soup. Our girl makes it for her family often thur the winter time and always invites us over for dinner...must try your recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love soups and this one sounds fabulous! Much lighter than a gumbo, but with many of the same flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  14. this looks amazing. I love paella but never had it in soup form. I must try this for sure!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.