Friday, March 13, 2015

Colcannon With A Twist


Every March, I ask myself why I don't make this delicious dish more often.  It pairs well with most any meat and shines as the starch on the table.  While it isn't completely traditional, I don't think your diners will mind one bit/bite when you serve it with corned beef or Irish steak.




Colcannon 

2 pounds of russet potatoes, peeled and cut into large pieces
2 cups Brussels sprouts, cut in half,  steamed until al dente and then sliced
2 green onions, minced
6 Tbsp butter, cut into pieces
1 cup of whole milk, hot
Salt and pepper to taste

1.  Cover the potatoes with water, add salt and bring to a boil, cover the pan and reduce the heat to a simmer.  Check for doneness after about 15 minutes.  When done, drain most of the water away and mash.
2.  To the still hot potatoes, immediately add the minced green onions and stir in.  Add the butter and the hot milk and stir occasionally as the butter melts.
3.  Stir in the Brussels sprouts.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.

ENJOY!

12 comments:

  1. You know..you are right..I don't know why we don't make this more often..because I love the combo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this sounds and looks fantastic and yummy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! It looks so warming, and filling, and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's not to love about this one?!?!?! You are so right, Bonnie. It is kind of like turkey and dressing... I always wonder why I wait for Thanksgiving. Have a wonderful weekend! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  5. The sprouts would be much more tender than cabbage! Sounds great to me:@)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This one's going on my list of things to make. I love Brussels sprouts and potatoes- how could this not be delicious? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, yes...this sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The combination sounds delicious and you've made it so pretty Bonnie.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  9. This has to be delicious! And it would definitely be for any time of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the change from cabbage to Brussels sprouts in your colcannon, Bonnie! And, you cute little Brussels sprouts leaf shamrock :) I've got to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello, Just got home from a nice trip to Arkansas to celebrate George's birthday. I will blog about it tomorrow.

    Now--it's time to start working in the yard, cleaning up all of the 'junk' from the ice storm. What a mess!!!

    Hope you are doing well. Thanks so much for that recipe... I LOVE burssel sprouts and have never heard of this dish... Sounds wonderful... THANKS again...
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so pretty! I eat Brussels sprouts, fix them for my family who love them, but can't say I like them. Mixed with mashed potatoes and green onions though, I bet I'd like that.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.