Monday, March 16, 2015

Reuben Puffs Redux


Four more days of winter!  I have not seen any shade of green on lawns, shrubs or trees.  No daffodil has raised it's pretty head.  However, the "wearing of the green" is full speed ahead.  Tomorrow, the city square and main streets leading south out of the city will be closed down for St. Patrick's Day celebrations--the parade being the "biggie".

Unless you are having a large family gathering, you'll have leftover corned beef.  In the hope that is true, here again is one of our favorite ways to use up those leftovers.

Happy St. Patrick's Day to all!!


Reuben Puffs from a long-ago Chicago Tribune
Serves 4

1 1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
1 medium onion, minced
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1 1/2 tsps Dijon mustard plus additional for spreading on the bread
2 cups sauerkraut, rinsed and patted very dry on paper towels
4 egg whites
4 large slices of deli rye bread
8 ounces thinly sliced corned beef

1.  Heat broiler.  Combine cheese, onion, mayonnaise and mustard in a medium bowl.  Stir in sauerkraut and egg whites (do not beat the egg whites) until well combined.
2.  Spread mustard on one side of bread.  Top each with 1/4 of the corned beef and top that with the cheese mixture spreading evenly over the corned beef to the edge of the bread.
3.  Broil about 10 inches from the heat until puffy and browned.  This will take 5 to 6 minutes.  Watch closely.

ENJOY

16 comments:

  1. I agree..Yes please..

    Our little parade is Saturday..It's always so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh mercy! That sounds soooo good. Yesterday while at the market, we were selecting our corned beef for tomorrow, and I purposely got a larger one than we need, in hopes of having leftovers for just such a treat!!!!
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks awesome! Are you close enough to the river to get a picture?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to get this recipe, Bonnie... because even though there are only two of us... we WILL be enjoying our corned beef and cabbage. ;) Happy St. Patty's to you and Andrew! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, these look good. Looking forward to trying them. Happy St. Pat's Day Bonnie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting, the egg is new to me! Happy St. Patrick's Day, enjoy the festivities:@)

    ReplyDelete
  7. MMMMmmmm..love Reubans! Did you hear that Boston had to cancel their St. Pat's because of too much snow still on the streets of the city? I feel bad fro them! Happy St. Patrick's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had no heard! Lots of disappointed Irish I'm sure.

      Delete
  8. Great way to use left-over corned beef. Happy St. Paddy's Day Bonnie.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holy cow those look delicious - my daughter is making the corned beef tonight and I am sure there will be leftovers - yum! Yep, I haven't seen any peek of flowers yet, and I just have one tiny patch of snow on my front lawn - spring is coming!

    ReplyDelete
  10. such a fun and creative way to do reubens!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love a good Reuben sandwich but, oh my, this looks even better! I love the recipes you share from the Tribune!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've seen crocus, so I feel pretty sure that sooner or later it'll warm up! These Reuben puffs look yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.