Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Carrot Soup

  My lingering little night-time cough has continued to put me in the mood for soup.  Specifically chicken soup.  Alas, I had no chicken. I had chicken stock, onions, garlic, carrots and oranges.  While it may not be the healing panacea of granny's chicken soup, it came close.  My cough is gone!!  It is amazing what a good night's sleep can do for one--well, make that three.  Even Oliver took refuge under the dining room table one night!!

Here is how I did the soup.



Carrot Soup

1 pound carrots, scrubbed and cut into 1 inch pieces
1 large yellow onion, sliced 
2 fat cloves garlic, peeled and finely minced
1 tbsp olive oil
1quart chicken or vegetable stock
Salt and pepper
dash of cayenne, optional
juice (about 1/2 cup) and zest of one large orange

1.  In a large saucepan, saute the onion in the olive oil until transparent.  Add the garlic and saute another minute.  Add the carrots and the stock.  Bring to a boil, lower the heat to a simmer and cover the pan.  Simmer until the vegetables are very soft, about 30 minutes.

2.  Using an immersion blender (or a regular blender or food processor), blend the soup until smooth or, if you like, leave it a bit chunky.  Check for seasonings.  If your stock was well seasoned, you probably won't need more.  Stir in the orange juice and zest.

ENJOY!

8 comments:

  1. yum, glad you are better and good idea for a place to sleep Oliver

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you are better! This is beautiful and simple soup. And I love how you found the Fiesta Ware plate to match it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love carrot soup! this look perfect Bonnie:))

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...and Im so glad you feel better:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you're feeling better Bonnie. I had a cough left-over from a cold for 3 weeks and I was soooo glad when it finally went away. If this makes a cough go away, I'm keeping it for "next time."
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  6. this looks wonderful and so glad you are doing better. I love the bright orange color and the consistency is spot on

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds good and I'll bet that garlic helped the cold too! Glad you're feeling better:@)

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.