Sunday, April 19, 2015

German Pancake with Blueberry-Banana Topping

I meant to be up at the crack of dawn this morning to make The Baker's breakfast.  It was, after all, the least I could do to thank him for all the care he gave me during my recent, prolonged bout with whatever it was.  Thank goodness I am cough free and raring to go (sort of).  The first item on my morning agenda is always a cup of coffee before anything else is done--a cup of coffee while checking e-mail, etc..  Alas, before bed last night, I realized the internet was down and our phone wasn't working.  So, I knew at some point this morning, I'd be on the cell phone working out the problem with the land line phone folks--maybe necessitating two cups of coffee before breakfast.  However, after a few sips of a strong brew, I remembered last time this happened, I was told to reboot the WiFi.  Unplugging it for a few seconds did the trick!!

One of our favorite breakfast treats, this German pancake is so easy to put together.  Most of the time, we have it with just a warmed fruit syrup.  Blueberries have been in the market for about a week and are so tasty.  With bananas always in the fruit basket, this came together in no time.



Baked German Pancake
w/Blueberry-Banana Topping
From the Chicago Tribune

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
6 large eggs
1 cup whole milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup flour
1/2 stick unsalted butter, melted

Blueberry-Banana Topping

1 pint blueberries
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 large banana, diced

Heat oven to 450 degrees. Brush about 1 tablespoon of the oil over bottom and up sides of two 10 inch cast iron skillets. Break eggs into blender (he uses a whisk since we don't own a blender). Add milk and salt; mix until blended but not frothy. Add the flour; blend briefly to moisten the flour. Do not over mix. Add butter. Blend briefly.

Divide the batter between the prepared pans. Bake until puffed, 10-12 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350; bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes more.

Meanwhile, for topping, mix blueberries, confectioners' sugar and lemon juice. Mash briefly. Let stand two minutes before stirring in banana. Cut pancakes into large wedges; place on heated plates. Pass the blueberry-banana topping.


Serves 4. You can cut the recipe in half for 2.

12 comments:

  1. glad you remembered the reboot thing before you called. i do so hate to talk to our provider on the phone about anything... the pancake looks and sounds divine/delish

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jacques does our rebooting;)

    So nice to have wi-fi..and nice Sunday brekkie Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful breakfast for the baker…My coffee is a must in the morning. I do the same thing read email, check out Facebook, my blog, instagram (laugh).

    Enjoy your Sunday.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this german pancake ! Look awesome Bonnie, really delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! This looks like heaven on a plate! I also love your mug and place mat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't made one of these in a couple years... Sounds good:@)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum, what a delicious breakfast, Bonnie. German pancakes are a favorite in my family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUM.... Think I heard your hubby say to you: "Get sick again ---so I'll get some of these pancakes again...." NAH---he wouldn't say that since I know you'd make them for him ANYTIME.... He (like George) is a KEEPER ---and we do enjoy keeping them happy!!!!!!!!

    Anytime we have a problem with any of our devices, we always restart or reboot first... Most of the time, that will do the trick. Glad it worked for you.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks like a Dutch Baby which I love. I'm there!
    xo, Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Every now and then our internet goes out and that's always the first thing I try. Unplugging and replugging and it always works! Today, I just figured out that I needed to do the same thing from one of my external hard drives as it said I had nothing on it (panic). I tried unplugging it and voila! Heart attack avoided. What a delicious breakfast, Bonnie, and I love it when you share Chicago Tribune recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Breakfast, by far, is my favorite meal...even have it for dinner lots of times. German pancakes are another favorite and it's time for one tonight for dinner...:)

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.