Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Warming Up A Blustery Spring Evening--Roasted Vegetable Soup

It's spring--or, it was spring.  The past few days have been overcast and chilled.  Mother was right when she said no planting of pretty posies until after Mother's Day.  More often than not, I've paid no attention and then had to rescue those pretty posies by dragging them in to the garage to overnight.  This year, I've only planted pansies.  They should be hardy enough to weather the weather!!  We shall see.

Those of you who have been around for awhile know that we love soup--all year long.  We don't really need to have cool or cold weather to enjoy a bowl.  There are times when soup is a must to use up leftovers.  We had stir fry a few nights ago that was heavy on broccoli florets.



But, there were those lovely stems that needed to be used.  Adding a few carrots, onions, potatoes and garlic to a roasting pan,



produced this lovely bowl of soup to enjoy while the wind howled.  Almost any vegetables would work.




Roasted Vegetable Soup (Serves 4)

4 cups roasted vegetables (carrots, broccoli, onions, potatoes, parsnips, etc.)
3 cloves of garlic
2 Tbsp olive oil
3 cups of chicken stock
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup of whole milk

1.  To roast the vegetables, preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Toss your choice of rough chopped vegetables in the olive oil.  Roast for about 15 minutes, watching carefully.  Add the garlic and roast another 5 minutes.
2.  Put the vegetables into a large soup pot and add the chicken stock.  Simmer, covered, for about 30 minutes until the vegetables are soft.  Add salt and pepper to taste.
3.  Use an immersion blender to puree, or puree in batches in a food processor.
4.  Return to the soup pot.  Stir in the milk and simmer until heated through.

ENJOY!

15 comments:

  1. What a great way to use those broccoli stems. My immersion blender is one of my favorite kitchen tools. Next time I have broccoli and will make this soup. Thanks Bonnie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. perfect to look at and to eat and for your health... sorry you are still having blustery weather

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE it, and have already printed it! I have never made any that is blended, but yes, I have an immersion blender!! I will make it soon! We are like you, real soupaholics. I make it all year round. Plus Phil has a shelf full of canned and eats a can for a bedtime snack a few nights a week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is soup weather here too..Cold as heck! 40F..and below..and rain..Brr

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great idea for the broccoli stems. I've also pared the outside off and used the tender insides in salads. But back to the soup--it sounds delicious and a much better way than roasting all the way. Here we plant after April 15th. We're late this year, just got the garden in today. And our pansies so far as still thriving as it hasn't gotten hot yet (our winter flowers, as you know).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Finally having time to catch up on blog reading a bit this afternoon. Excellent use of those stems! Roasting just adds such a nice depth of flavor.

    I remember the shooting in VA... I've really been struck with the number of tragedies that have happened in the month of April... This shooting, the Marathon bombing, Colombine, Oklahoma City... what is it about April? blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's cold and damp here again too-bummer. Your soup sounds like it would be great for lunch tomorrow:@)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks like a nice healthy soup, Bonnie! I often save scraps of vegetables in my freezer and when I have a couple bag fulls I boil them down, strain, and I'm left with a nice amount of vegetable broth that I freeze and use when I make beans or rice or soups.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your soup sounds good, Bonnie! I learned the hard way when we moved here, no planting flowers here until Memorial weekend. Snow on the ground this morning and then snow flurries again in the afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your are so right - it was spring! Snow was flying here just a couple of days ago. Luckily, none stuck to the ground. I am definitely in the mood for soup and just came home with a box of Costco's organic chicken stock so I'm ready to roll! Only pansies in containers here also. I have been also been burned by the lure of warm weather.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am like you, I can eat soup all year long and can totally consider it a dinner with some nice bread on the side. Hopefully we'll warm up this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds delicious on this cool cool drizzly dreary day in TN... Do you really use WHOLE milk??? We only use 1% these days.

    Thanks for the recipe.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.