Saturday, May 2, 2015

Swiss Cheese and Onion Quiche

A friend served this delicious quiche at a recent brunch.  She added a fruit salad and homemade rolls. I couldn't find any nice fresh fruit so ours was accompanied by a salad of mixed lettuces and cherry tomatoes.  Later, melons will be a nice addition.



Swiss Cheese and Onion Quiche

Pastry
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup very cold butter, cut in chunks

1.  Heat oven to 350 degrees.  In a food processor, combine the flour, salt and butter until mixture is the consistency of coarse bread crumbs.  Add ice water (3 to 4 Tbsp) and process until the dough comes together in a ball.  Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
2.  Roll out into a 12-inch circle.  Fit into a 10-inch tart pan with a removable bottom.  Cut off the dough at the top of the pan.  Bake the empty shell for 20 minutes--just until the crust begins to brown.

Filling
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
2 Tbsp flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
Grating of fresh nutmeg
1 cup milk (2 % or whole)
4 large eggs
3 ounces swiss or gruyere cheese, shredded
2 tsp chopped chives or green onions tops

1.  Place rack in middle of oven and preheat to 350.
2.  Heat oil in large, non-stick skillet over high heat.  Add onions and cook until just beginning to lightly brown, stirring often, about 4 minutes.  Remove from heat and add flour, salt, pepper and nutmeg.  Stir in the milk.  Place over medium heat and cook, stirring until thickened and creamy, about 20 seconds.
3.  In a large bowl, whisk the whole eggs until light and fluffy.  Add the onions mixture, a little at a time, stirring after each addition.  Pour the mixture into the crust.  Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the top and garnish with the chives or green onions.  Place the tart pan on a cookie sheet.
4.  Bake until puffed and browned.  About 30 minutes.  Let rest for ten minutes.  Remove the collar from the tart pan.  Cut into wedges.  This is also quite good at room temperature.

ENJOY!


19 comments:

  1. This is beautiful!!! Even the salad looks delicious. That is ranch dressing I believe. It all looks like from a fine brunch restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks and sounds delicious for a perfect brunch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks and sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quiche has been on my mind recently... Perhaps because of Mother's Day. This sounds like a tasty one:@)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to make a veggie quiche a lot when we were first married. This makes me miss it and I will try this recipe.

    Thanks, Bonnie.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds yummy. I love quiche...can't wait to try it. I hope you are having a good weekend...hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this recipe Bonnie!
    I love quiches!:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. really looks wonderful.. a simple classic and perfect pastry! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just bought some swiss and gruyere today to make a quiche this week. Haven't made one in years but seeing your picture makes me hungry for a piece now! I don't think my recipe calls for nutmeg. I'm going to add that to my recipe. I don't have a tart pan, just use a pie pan but your quiche is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love a good quiche Bonnie. It is one of the ways I can get my eggs on my plate.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A great vegetarian quiche. I have fresh chives growing on my deck. Will try this Bonnie.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Quiche and a salad are a great combinations, one I never get tired of. The chives are a nice addition. Happy Mother's Day, Bonnie.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds like a good combination, Bonnie. I also love a mushroom and swiss cheese combination.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A wonderful and elegant lunch or dinner. I love meals like this. xo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  15. This quiche is so beautiful, Bonnie. Do you put weights in your crust when you are baking it?? I never have... though sometimes I should have based on how it puffs up! Thank you so much for this eye candy of a dish and the recipe, too! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though I have pie weights, I seldom use them. This particular crust did not call for them. It was only slightly puffed and I gently pushed it down with the back of a large spoon.

      Delete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.