Monday, April 27, 2015

Polish Sausage Stir Fry

We had a windy and rainy start to the weekend.  There was a chill in the air.  It was a soup sort of day but.....would you believe there wasn't the right combination of ingredients around to stir into the soup pot?  The freezer has slowly been emptied of chicken and beef stock.  Empty!!  So empty that, if I speak while the freezer door is open, there's an echo!  I did have all the ingredients for this pseudo stir fry except the cabbage.  A quick stop at the grocery store took care of that.

This recipe actually came from my Hungarian friend, Judith.  The first time I prepared the dish, Andrew said his mother made a similar one.  When I mentioned it to Judith, she said it was more Polish than Hungarian.  It could even be a southern U.S. dish since the dash of vinegar is my own addition.  Whatever the nationality, it is stick-to-your-ribs good!!



Polish Sausage with Cabbage, Potatoes and Onions
For four

2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 medium onion, cut into fourths and thinly sliced
6-8 fingerling potatoes, unpeeled and thinly sliced
1 pound ring of fully-cooked Polish sausage, sliced in 1/4 inch slices
1 garlic clove, minced
3 cups of Savoy cabbage (or another of your choice) cut into approximately 1 inch chunks
Salt and pepper to taste
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar

1.  Heat the vegetable oil in a large saute pan over medium heat.
2.  Add the onion and saute until translucent, 4 to 5 minutes.
3.  Add the potatoes and saute until they start to soften, another 4 to 5 minutes.
4.  Add the sausage and saute for another 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
5.  Add the garlic and stir for 1 minute.
6.  Add the cabbage and stir well.
7.  Add salt and pepper to taste, stir,  cover, reduce the heat to medium low and cook for another five minutes.  Stir and check to see if the cabbage is done.  We like the cabbage to have a little crunch left.
8.  Stir in the balsamic vinegar and cook for another minute.

ENJOY!

19 comments:

  1. I love this kind of one-pot meal! What time is dinner?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love one pot meals like this. To me, this is definitely a Polish kind of dish. I grew up in a community with lots of Polish people and cabbage dishes were prevalent. It has been colder than usual in NC. Have a good week Bonnie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this pot meal! Look yumm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh YUM... i saved this one to my folder... this sounds wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet that's really good!Smoky..cabbagey..

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is my kind of stir fry!! I heard temps in the high 70s this weekend - woop!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I make almost the same dish! Except it does not have the vinegar. That would be a good addition.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This does sound wonderful for a cool rainy day. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is my kind of dinner-sounds great! I'm ready for some nice warm weather too:@)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is my kind of meal, Bonnie. All this goodness in one pot. =) blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  11. OH my I should have learned by now not to come by here when I am hungry. This looks like an amazing dish to enjoy especially like you did on a cool evening.
    I think of you often and wonder how you are so when you come by and leave me a comment I am so happy. Thank you for such a lovely comment about my daughters wedding post. I hate I didn't talk more about the wedding but just downloading the pics wore me out. haha
    It's such a blessing in my life to have her married to such a good Christian man that I can not even begin to tell you.
    I am busy trying to stay well and out of the emergency room so I am trying to eat low sodium meals. Something I should of done years ago and I might not be having such problems now.
    Hope your having a good week I have to catch up with you while I am here.
    Sending you much love
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  12. OH my I should have learned by now not to come by here when I am hungry. This looks like an amazing dish to enjoy especially like you did on a cool evening.
    I think of you often and wonder how you are so when you come by and leave me a comment I am so happy. Thank you for such a lovely comment about my daughters wedding post. I hate I didn't talk more about the wedding but just downloading the pics wore me out. haha
    It's such a blessing in my life to have her married to such a good Christian man that I can not even begin to tell you.
    I am busy trying to stay well and out of the emergency room so I am trying to eat low sodium meals. Something I should of done years ago and I might not be having such problems now.
    Hope your having a good week I have to catch up with you while I am here.
    Sending you much love
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  13. A great alternative to soup on a chilly rainy day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I make something very similar, and seem to change it up a bit each time I make it. It's so good.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You can't beat sausage and cabbage and it's a recurring theme in many European cuisines. This sounds delicious, Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete
  16. simply damn delicious!!!
    lovin the protein and veggies in a single dish....
    Dedy@Dentist Chef

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh wow, that hearty looking meal is one I want to try!!! Scrumptious, I'm sure!

    Have a fun weekend!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great blog man, had very important content that I L'Reve 24kcan relate to :)I signed up to your rss feed! Will you post much more about this theme? Precisely what I required to get. Really clear and valuable post. Im certainly a violator of many of these guidelines.
    http://www.healthcaresdiscussion.com/lreve-24k/

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.