Monday, June 29, 2015

Beets on the Menu


We are slowly making progress in settling in and immersing ourselves into our new neighborhood and city.  In our former neighborhood, we watched the city pass by our front porch.  Here, we watch only a portion of the neighborhood at the end of our cul-de-sac.  It's very quiet.  Sometimes we hear only the chirping of birds as they stop by for a bite at neighborhood avian "cafes".


I must admit that, so far, I'm missing having to step onto the front porch to retrieve our mail.  It's only a short walk to the mailbox but it doesn't hold the old-time feel of hearing the mail deposited on the porch.  






Speaking of the porch, ours has a southern exposure and the plants are adjusting nicely and showing off colorfully.  We are working on getting fencing up on the side of the house for Oliver to enjoy some alone time outside.  For now, he has to be on a leash anytime he goes out.  He and Andrew are enjoying their walks here.  There are lovely parks with comfortable pathways to be explored.  I believe Oliver thinks we are on vacation and is wondering when we'll go home!!

Meals are still fairly simple as we get the kitchen unpacked and situated.  We are both excited about the ample pantry that is already full and waiting to be tweaked.  Here, the farmer's markets are on Tuesday and Saturday.  Our favorite farmer, Linda from LE Garden, is here on Tuesdays.  I was busy last Tuesday but Andrew paid the market a visit and came home with, among other things, a bunch of beets.  Since he's been working so hard, I decided to use them in one of his favorite dishes--cold beet soup.  It isn't exactly like his mother made but close.



Cold Beet Soup (Clodnik)

1 bunch (about 5-6 smallish) beets
1 medium onion, sautéed until translucent (2-3 minutes)
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
salt and pepper to taste
Lemon juice
Plain yogurt or sour cream
Fresh dill

1.  Place the whole, unpeeled beets into a large saucepan and cover with water.  Simmer until soft--about twenty minutes.  Let them cool in the liquid, saving the liquid.  Slip the peel from the beets and slice them.
2.  Add the beets, onions and chicken stock to the beet liquid.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Bring to a simmer and cook an additional ten minutes or so.  Remove from heat and cool.
3.  Using an immersion blender (or regular blender/food processor), puree the beets in the liquid.  Chill for several hours to overnight.
4.  When ready to serve, stir in fresh lemon juice and yogurt or sour cream to taste.  Top with fresh dill.

ENJOY!

14 comments:

  1. I love beets and I think I would like this soup. our dog Max took about a month to adjust to our house when we moved here.. the first week he was so freaked out we could not leave him home alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not had mail delivery in ap 40 years..we pick it up in rural mailboxes..ours now is at the end of our road..
    Looks all pretty and pristine there..I am enjoying beets too..what a color!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It will be interesting to hear your impression of the holiday in your new home. The soup, by the way, sounds delicious and I love its color. Andrew is a lucky man :-). Hugs and blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you are settling in- your new home looks so pretty! ! We've never had mail on our porch, sigh. Our mail now is either 1/2 mile down our driveway or at the post office. Love this beet soup. I'm the only person here that will let beets pass their lips, so it would be all mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure there are a few adjustments, such as walking out to the mailbox … it's just not the same as having a mailman walking the neighborhood. The beet soup looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love borscht, so I know I'd love your beet siuo, Bonnie. I will also send your recipe to my older brother who has a bumper crop of beets in his Long Island garden this summer.

    We also miss the mail coming into our house through the mail slot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear that things are settling down.
    It is always nice to get things in their places.
    Love the comment about Oliver thinking you guys
    are on vacation! So funny.

    M : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a pretty color! It sounds like you're all adjusting nicely, enjoy the market:@)

    ReplyDelete
  9. A house move has got to be confusing to a dog or cat. I hope Oliver realizes soon that he is home. Your beet soup is so pretty and sounds refreshing. I love cold soups in summer; well I like them anytime of year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bonnie I love beets!
    And what lovely color!
    Glad to hear the things go well:)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I liked hearing about the mail on the porch . . .
    Made me remember my home in Wisconsin with a mailbox on the wall, dropped into the front hall . . .
    I agree . . . miss the sound as I think of it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy settling in days . . .

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love beets any way you can fix them! The cold soup looks almost too pretty to eat.
    Glad you are feeling more settled :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I also am a beet fan! What a great way to beat the heat with cold beet soup :) It sounds delicious. So glad you're getting settled in and that your house sold!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.