Friday, June 19, 2015

Penne Pasta with Asparagus, Tomatoes and Feta

There are still a few (o.k., more than a few) boxes to be unpacked.  At least there are no more to be brought into the house!!  For now, we are trying to figure out the best ways to use the kitchen.  There's a huge pantry that, with organization, will be very efficient.  Once the rest of the house is in place, I plan to take a chair and a cup of coffee into the pantry where I'll sit and decide where everything goes.  Until then, I'm finding we have quite a bit of pasta.  At least it is light and was easy to move!!  The farmers' market had lovely asparagus.  We enjoyed it in one of our favorite spring (almost summer) dishes.



Pasta with Asparagus, Tomatoes and Feta a combination of two Chicago Tribune recipes

2 pounds asparagus
3 Tbsp olive oil
3 ounce chunk of Parmesan, grated

1.  Snap off woody bottoms of the asparagus and peel the stalk.  Cut on the diagonal into 2 inch pieces.
2.  Place the asparagus into a bowl with the olive oil and add salt and pepper to taste.  Mix well and allow to stand fifteen minutes.
3.  Spread the asparagus in one layer on a baking.  Roast in a 500 degree oven about ten minutes, shaking the pan a few times during that time. 
4.  Transfer the asparagus and any juices back to the bowl.  Add more salt and pepper to taste, stir in the Parmesan and set aside.

8 ounces penne pasta (cooked according to package directions)
2 Tbsp olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
6 each, halved red and yellow tomatoes
1/2 cup each crumbled feta and freshly grated Parmesan
salt and pepper
6 basil leaves, thinly sliced

5.  Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat; stir in the garlic and tomatoes.  Cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes are slightly softened and the garlic is golden--about five minutes.
6.  Stir in the cooked and drained pasta.
7.  Stir in the asparagus, the feta and the parmesan.  Garnish with the basil.

7 comments:

  1. Pasta..such a go to!
    It's amazing th things we move isn't it?
    I love this kind of dish:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pasta sounds divine. So glad to hear that things are going well. You'll be settled by the 4th, then it's time for
    the real fireworks :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just delicious dear! I love asparagus:))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucky you with your pantry space! I have never had a home with a true pantry, it's always some tiny cupboard that I have to designate and things are always spilling out :( This new place is by far the tiniest, so I'm still trying to figure out where I'm putting the pantry items efficiently. I think that is why I have to hope so frequently.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This pasta really does sound good! Have a great weekend:@)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, pasta, my true love! I can't believe I've never fixed it with asparagus but will soon because I love roasted asparagus.

    A true pantry would be so nice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you're moving right along, Bonnie! I envy your huge pantry! Great pasta dish too!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.