Monday, July 20, 2015

Cauliflower Salad

Did I mention that summer arrived late last week?  It did--and, with a vengeance!  We went from cool days and even cooler nights to hot days and still cool nights.  Along with the high temperatures came stormy evenings and humid days.  I call them the "salad days of summer".

Our new community had a picnic on Sunday (an indoor picnic).  Hamburgers and brats, along with all the trimmings, were provided.  Side dishes and desserts were requested from those attending.  Since it was our first time, we took a salad and dessert.  The Baker did a beautiful and delicious plum tart.  In my haste to pack up and get to the site, I completely forgot to photograph it!

When we arrived, there were tables set up and decorated in red, white and blue cloths--very festive.  The tables were already laden with delicious-looking salads and desserts.  The Baker soon disappeared!!  I found out later that he was helping man the grills.  Really?!!  Grilling is the one thing he doesn't do at home.  Actually, I think it was more man talk around the grill than anything else as most of the men drifted off to that area.  The ladies preferred being inside and cool.

It was a delicious way to meet more neighbors.  I found out that one should be a Bears' fan and root for Notre Dame, Purdue and Indiana U in football and basketball.  I'm not sure how that works out when any of the teams play each other but will find out seasonally.  Several people were talking about
the Chicago Street Theater's production of Hamlet the night before so there's interest in Shakespeare.
First and foremost, there was interest in good food and fellowship!  We are in a good place.

Since I had a nice head of cauliflower, I decided on a salad using the same recipe I use for potato salad.  It was a hit!


Cauliflower Salad

1 medium head of cauliflower cut in florets
2 medium carrots, sliced
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 cup of fresh (or frozen) green peas
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 Tbsp cider vinegar
1 Tbsp juice from sweet pickles
1 Tbsp chopped fresh dill
Salt and pepper to taste

1.  Blanch the cauliflower and carrots (I did them together) in boiling salted water for three minutes.
Drain.  Add the celery and green peas (uncooked).  While still warm, stir in the remainder of the ingredients.
2.  Chill for at least two hours to overnight.

ENJOY!

14 comments:

  1. I really enjoy veggie salads.. I love mayo;)

    Sounds like you are nestling in so well..

    ReplyDelete
  2. We really are feeling as if we've "arrived"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you're on a great adventure . . . and food is such a great way to connect! Always cheer for Notre Dame, even though some fans can be obnoxious : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't attended an actual sports event since high school. However, I don't think I'd be one of the obnoxious fans!!

      Delete
  4. I love this salad! I love cauliflower Bonnie and this look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this salad! I love cauliflower Bonnie and this look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like best way to get to know your neighbours!! I wouldn't think to use cauliflower as a delicious potato salad substitute. Way to go Bonnie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Val! It was very good and will be on the menu again this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an interesting salad, nice and different:@)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you are enjoying your new neighborhood!! Good food and fellowship rank high in the necessary things for a good life. ;) This recipe sounds perfectly delicious. I am going to try it soon! Thank you, Bonnie. blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a nice way to me your new neighbors. I love cauliflower salad and your version sounds really good with the addition of sweet pickles.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I bet Mr. Ken would like this.
    Gotta love a good picnic!

    M : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. this looks wonderful and perfect for a day out in the sun! I love the addition of the sweet pickle flavor. I bet that really ups the flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cauliflower is just so versatile. You can fry it , blanch it and even make soup with it. Yummy

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.