Friday, July 17, 2015

Settling Into and Exploring Valparaiso

We've been in residence in Valparaiso for five weeks now.  The boxes are all unpacked.  Most everything has been put away.  There needs to be some tweaking still.  I've found my way around the grocery store of choice (thanks, Jane, for the locator map).  How nice to find it has a sushi bar!!  I still need to find my way to the State License Bureau to change my address.  I need to register to vote.

One thing that I need to check off my list is causing me more of a problem than I thought it would.  Getting a library card!!  It's not that the card will be hard to get.  All that's needed is a piece of mail showing my address.  What it really means is tossing out my old library card.  The library that I had the joy of being on the Board of Trustees that approved the building and watched it rise from the north end of the Crown Point downtown square.  That card is on my "list".  It may be the last thing to be crossed off.

Andrew and I have done a bit of exploring.  Although we'd spent quite a bit of time in the area through the years, we always seemed to visit the same part of the city.  Now, at our leisure, we are taking "the road less traveled".  A few weeks ago, we came upon this gem of a nursery.  Horses Nursery (Horse is the nickname of the owner and I don't know why they left the apostrophe out) is tucked into the countryside as one heads west on Lincolnway.


We picked up a hydrangea and a clematis.  Next time, I might take some lemonade and a book.  Those chairs were very inviting!

Hope you all have a great weekend!!

19 comments:

  1. I know leaving your library behind was a bit sad... but, I'm loving the look of Valparasio and Horses looks like a place I would sure enjoy visiting/shopping!! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. That nursery is inviting. I'd take lemonade and a book too. You have a wonderful new city to explore. Keep the eye of a visitor for awhile, you know how locals rarely take time to go visit the sights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! Even living in Charleston, S.C., we became complacent about what the city had to offer. Of course, visitors caused us to open our eyes from time to time.

      Delete
  3. Love nurseries..I have let my library card go..I have taken to online libraries with ebooks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The nursery is most inviting. Just a thought, Bonnie - one of the lovely parts of being so closely associated with the building of the library is the knowledge that you quite literally helped to create it. It will survive you and be there for your grandchildren to visit :-) Now that's what I call a memorial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Mary! My name is enshrined just inside the door to the library. It is there for the ages!!

      Delete
  5. I like those chairs and the shade and flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i am betting you will keep that library card

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will because it is special--Gold. I'll put it in my "how to build a library" file.

      Delete
  7. Wow!! 5 weeks Bonnie! The time goes fast!.. I know!!
    Look beautiful and is nice you are more happy there and I love these chairs in the front!!
    Have a nice weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is crazy that it has already been five weeks! We still have a basement full if boxes that may never get sorted though since there are items that will not fit, but we aren't willing to part with. We are finding out the ins and outs of our new little town too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you are settled in Bonnie. It is always fun to learn a new place. It always gives me a new perspective. Love the nursery.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's great that you're settled in now, Bonnie! Looks like a nice little nursery and I love hydrangeas and clematis. Very hot and humid here today, and a thunderstorm is starting, maybe your area will escape it. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute nursery! I say don't toss your old library card, give it a place of honor with the pics and mementos you have from building that library:@)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like you're settling in and finding your way around. I would keep my old library card, especially if you can check out books on line. Nothing wrong with having two cards - I do.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are in a different county now so I'd have to apply for a non-resident card. My actual card doesn't expire for four more years. However, everyone in the library knows we've moved!!

      Delete
  13. I love it when I find a great nursery! This one looks so charming. Glad you're enjoying your new surroundings, Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like you are getting comfortable.
    The nursery looks like fun!

    M : )

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your new neighborhood and surrounding areas sound like a lovely place to live and be a part of!

    And I do love finding a good independently owned nursery. My father was in the nursery/garden center business for decades and my husband in the garden center/landscape business for years. The big box stores put many of us out of business when they came in but I think I see a return to people supporting the little family owned ones now, which is a very good thing.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.