Monday, September 14, 2015

Fresh Fig Pizza--A Late Summer Treat

We are gearing up to enjoy the last week of summer.  This morning, "gearing up" meant pulling out warm socks and adding another layer of clothing.  It was 48 degrees at 6:30 a.m..  The weekend brought just a bit of rain on Saturday afternoon.  Despite that dampness, I've heard the Popcorn Festival was a success.  That's good since the committee seems to put in a lot of work getting it together.

Around here, fresh figs start appearing in the grocery stores in September.  I've never found any at farmer's markets although they do grow in our zone 5 area.  A few friends have potted the trees and have fairly successful harvests--just not enough to share with many.  In my opinion, the scarcity makes them even more appealing.  While we enjoy eating them fresh, we also make sure to have enough for at least one pizza.  Here is our favorite recipe.



Fig, Prosciutto and Asiago Pizza

  Use you favorite pizza dough recipe or purchase pre-made.
  5 to 6 fresh figs, cut into about 1/3 inch slices.
  2 Tbsp good balsamic vinegar.
  8 very thin slices of prosciutto.
  2 scallions thinly sliced with about an inch of the green included.
  About 3/4 cup grated Asiago cheese.

Preheat oven to 450.

1.  Prepare enough of the pizza dough for one medium or two individual servings and bake until golden, about 15 minutes.
2.  While the dough is baking, put the sliced figs into a bowl and sprinkle the vinegar over.  Set aside.
3.  Remove dough from oven and cover with the prosciutto.
4.  Sprinkle about half of the scallions over the prosciutto.
5.  Sprinkle with the Asiago.
6.  Top with the sliced figs.
7.  Sprinkle with the rest of the scallions.
8.  Bake for about ten minutes, watching carefully, until the cheese is melted.

13 comments:

  1. I love figs Bonnie.
    This look absolutely delicious ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love figs Bonnie.
    This look absolutely delicious ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love figs Bonnie.
    This look absolutely delicious ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We also love fig and prosciutto pizza. And we love appetizers with prosciutto-wrapped figs. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice combination of ingredients for a pizza. It's beginning to cool off here too, 41 this morning. But the sun is shining and it will warm up nicely. I am not ready for sock weather. We usually judge when to go south for the winter by when you have to wear socks everyday. Then we're out of here...
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've made a similar one Bonnie, but with mortadella - I find if I bake proscuitto the taste is different, so I just add it after it comes out of the oven.

    http://www.mybizzykitchen.com/2011/08/28/last-week-of-101-days-of-summer-and-best-pizza-ever/

    I am loving the chilly weather! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Finding fresh figs is always hit or miss here. The last few I saw in the store were getting a little too soft so I didn't buy them. Delicious idea for pizza with the figs and prosciutto It was chilly last weekend wasn't it? Glad we're in for a bit of a warm up again. I will be glad for fall when I can hopefully slow down a bit. It's been a whirlwind here the past couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoy your figs! It was chilly here this morning too, good sleeping weather:@)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had such a hard time finding good figs this year - but with a recipe like this it would be well worth the trouble! Beautiful :) and of course I love pizza!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a backyard fig tree that produces twice a year. I am always looking for ways to enjoy fresh figs. As a topping on pizza is an excellent idea-the salty and sweet combination is a winner.

    Happy fall!
    Velva
    P.S. I would give a lot to enjoy 48 degree temps!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks so delicious, Bonnie! We had a beautiful little fig tree when we live din Brooklyn and used to get about 150 figs in summer. When we moved here our son bought a small fig tree for us to keep on our upper deck in summer. So far we had 6 figs from it this year.. Hopefully it will grow every year and give us more. The 6 figs we did get were great!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.