Monday, September 21, 2015

Wheat Berry Salad

"Autumn... the year's last, loveliest smile."
~ William Cullen Bryant


My mother was of the opinion that food, whenever possible, should be colorful and true to the season.  Winter whites.  Spring greens.  Summer was pretty much the same as spring.  But, fall was her favorite season and her favorite colors--in nature, in her dress and on her table.  Mother never put wheat berries on our table so far as I remember.   I think she would have loved the colors of this salad though.  Fall seems to call for bolder salads and this one is certainly that.  It was inspired by Ina Garten.



Wheat Berry Salad

1 cup hard winter wheat berries
Salt
1 cup green onions (use the white and about an inch of the green) thinly sliced
3 tablespoons good olive oil
2 tablespoons cider vinegar (or your choice)
2 tsp sugar, stirred into the vinegar
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1 carrot, diced
Freshly ground pepper to taste

Directions:

Soak the wheat berries in water to cover overnight.

Drain and place into three cups of boiling, salted water. Cook, uncovered, for about 45 minutes or until they are soft. Drain.

While still warm, add the olive oil and the vinegar/sugar mixture. Mix well and then combine with the rest of the vegetables. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Allow to sit at least 30 minutes at room temperature. Even better when refrigerated overnight and brought to room temperature before serving.

ENJOY!

14 comments:

  1. I'll have to give this a try. It sounds wonderful and I'm in the mood to try something different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never bought these..I enjoy salads such as these..thank you..and I na..well what can I say?:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds good. Not sure I have heard of Winter Wheat Berries.... Not sure I can find them down here in TINY Crossville, TN... Do they taste like a berry? Looks more like a crunchy bean..... Interesting.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, they don't taste like berries. They have a delightful nutty flavor. They are probably available online. I get ours at Whole Foods.

      Delete
  4. it is beautiful and perfect for fall. mother was all about the seasons and the colors and holidays. but no the food, just the table she sat it on. she had a table cloth in every color for every season and candles to match. for holidays she put the lace table cloth over which ever color was required.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How pretty and I really like it that it can be made ahead.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't have wheat berries but I do have a bag of farro, and I think it would be a good substitute, Bonnie. Autumn is happening here very quickly--it is a short season in Colorado!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't have wheat berries but I do have a bag of farro, and I think it would be a good substitute, Bonnie. Autumn is happening here very quickly--it is a short season in Colorado!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never tried wheat berries but they sound interesting:@)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Never had these. Do they make bread from these?

    The sald looks pretty good.

    M : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great quote! From the sound of this, I need to buy some wheat berries!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I used wheat berries in salad and they are indeed wonderful. What a beautiful, colorful salad, Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was looking at the wheat berries in my cupboard the other day, wondering what I'd do with them. I think I've answered my question! Thanks for this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bonnie look absolutely beautiful and tasty !

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.