Wednesday, September 30, 2015

The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up and an Asian Dinner

The Muses met on Monday evening to discuss The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying up by Marie Kondo.  I think it was the consensus of the group that the book was a worthwhile read.  Each of us seemed to be at certain stages of tidying up.  Quite frankly, I think we were all rather neat and tidy before the book ever came out.

Almost every book chosen through the years has been a great read sparking good discussions.  That said, food is always involved and it is always excellent!!  We all take turns hosting.  Often, the book will suggest a theme.  Muse Cindy treated us to an asian setting that was perfect for our dinner.  I wish I had thought to take a photo of the entire table.


Delicate and beautiful, this teacup was ready for green tea.


Individual bowls of edamame--a perfect appetizer!

Edamame Appetizer

1 bag frozen edamame in the pod
Salt

1.  In a pot large enough to hold the edamame, boil enough water to cover.  Add 1 Tbsp salt.
2.  Add edamame and cook for five minutes.  Drain and sprinkle on more salt if desired.



I ate the entire bowl of cool, crisp cucumbers with chopsticks!

Cucumber Salad (Shieldzini)

3 cucumbers
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 tsp white sugar
3 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
3 Tbsp soy sauce

1.  Peel cucumbers and cut in half lengthwise.  Scoop the seeds out and slice into bite-sized pieces.  Transfer to a large bowl.
2.  Mix together the salt, sugar, vinegar and soy sauce.  Pour over the cucumbers and gently toss.  Chill for several hours before serving, tossing occasionally.


The main course was juicy chicken bites served with rice and sesame green beans.  I was so eager to lay down my chopsticks and pick up a fork,  so as not to miss a single bite, that I forgot to get any photos!!


I'll share the recipe for the delightful dish of dessert later.

Thank you, Cindy, for a lively discussion and a lovely meal!

11 comments:

  1. the food looks pretty and sounds delish and i love the tea cup with that special handle. sounds like fun

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your group always has a great time together ---and OH--so much delicious food... Wow!!!

    Guess most of us are at various states of Tidying Up --in our lives/homes.... Sometimes, mine is not as tidy as it should be though.... ha

    The Cucumber Salad looks delicious.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard that this book has inspired many to "tidy up," Bonnie. My only area that needs to be decluttered is my collection of magazines. I can't seem to recycle them until I've ripped out the recipes to save. Your group dinner looked very delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That little teacup is so cute..
    I read that book..
    I am tidy ..so..it really did not teach me anything except to finally fold my socks the way my husband always has :)
    But I can see it being a fun read ..with a group..and up for discussion..
    I am w/ Pat above..too many cut out recipes..:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good food makes a book discussion even better. And the food you had looks delicious. I'm thinking you would have a lot to share having just moved.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you said you were all pretty tidy before reading the book. I, too, read the book and decided to take it with a grain of salt since I am pretty neat and tidy. I do have way too many books, and the book informed a sort of ruthlessness I had toward those that I didn't like or knew that I would never read again, but overall, it wasn't for me. Your food, on the other hand -- all good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooo. I looove that fancy teacup.
    The cucumber salad looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful group and I love the theme of your last meeting. As I look around at the clutter on my desk, I think I need to read the book :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is nothing quite as nice as good conversation with friends and good food. It sounds like you had a lovely evening.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like you had a fun time and ate well too!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.