Monday, October 26, 2015

Ginger Cranberry Cornmeal Muffins a la Martha Stewart

Years ago, decades actually, I purchased Martha Stewart's Entertaining cookbook.  Called "the book that launched her empire",  it was truly unique.  It was my experience that some of the recipes were o.k..  Some were over-the-top for even the above-average cook.  Some didn't work at all.  It was her style that changed the way I, and many others,  presented food.  It was her style that made the book, and Martha, a household word.  From her crudités spilling out of baskets to her croquembouche, Martha was in the culinary world to stay.  Alas, somewhere along the way, that cookbook disappeared!  Did I loan it out and forget about it?  Did it accidentally get put into a bag of books for the library sale?  Was I the victim of a robbery that only wanted that particular cookbook?  I always thought it would turn up in some odd place that I'd put it away in.  When it didn't surface in our move, I knew it was gone for good.  Where is this leading?  To these muffins.

These ginger cranberry cornmeal muffins aren't one of Martha's recipes.  They are, however, inspired by her Entertaining cookbook.  As I recall, her's were made in mini-muffin tins and served with slivers of roast turkey as an appetizer.  That's what I plan to do during the Thanksgiving holiday.
We are not hosting Thanksgiving dinner this year.  I will roast a turkey breast so that we can enjoy turkey sandwiches after Thanksgiving.  I also plan to make these muffins and serve them as Martha did.

I made some this weekend.  Instead of doing mini-muffins, I did regular sized and served them with a carrot soup.  Delicious!  The recipe isn't Martha's.  Rather, it is from a Junior League Cookbook, California Heritage.  It is one of my favorite Junior League Cookbooks.  I did make a change with the addition of dried cranberries that are not in the original recipe.  These also freeze well.  Just wrap in foil and heat in the oven for a taste treat.


Ginger Cranberry Cornmeal Muffins

1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup flour
2 tsp salt
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup crystallized ginger
1/3 cup dried cranberries
2 large eggs
1 cup milk
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted

Preheat oven to 425 and grease a 12-cup muffin tin
1.  Sift together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt and baking powder into a large bowl.
2.  Place the ginger and cranberries in a food processor and process until minced.
3.  Add the eggs and the milk and process just until the eggs are beaten (4-5 seconds).
4.  Pour the egg mixture over the dry ingredients, add the melted butter and stir until just combined.
5.  Spoon into the muffin tins, filling 3/4 full.
6.  Bake for 12-15 minutes or until tops begin to crack.

ENJOY!

13 comments:

  1. They look scrumptious Bonnie. I've made something similar before but it didn't include ginger. What a nice addition and I know they will be a hit at Thanksgiving.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. bob and i were talking last week about our mothers ginger bread squares and we both have a longing for them. neither of us has had any since childhood. these sound like they might be like it but not. i love cornbread, sure i would love these

    ReplyDelete
  3. They DO look good..

    you know what?
    Martha did start it all for me..
    The presentations mostly..I have a few of her books and she was quite frankly my idol many years ago..
    You have to give her credit for being such an innovator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love these. I can put ginger in just about anything and these muffins sound like the best of autumn. I'm waiting for the fresh cranberries.
    On a different topic -- sort of -- we had several very good meals in Richmond, including some of the best crab cakes ever at Kitchen on Carey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very flavorful indeed! You're doing what I always said I'd do, if not hosting I'd still roast a turkey breast for the great aroma and leftovers:@)

    ReplyDelete
  6. They sound great Bonnie! Crystallized ginger is great for perking up a dish and I can imagine how good it is in your muffins with the cranberries. I have many of Martha's cookbooks, always liked her style and still do. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these ginger cranberry cornmeal muffins Bonnie !!
    Look amazing!!!
    hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Muffins are my favorite! Will enjoy eating them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look perfect for fall. You are reminding me of carrot soup that I used to make and should again it's so good.
    If we didn't host Thanksgiving I'd be making a small turkey for us to, just for the left overs and the sandwiches.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I so rarely use cornflour as it's not really a big thing over here but when I do I always love it. The flavour combo's you've used here sound gorgeous and quite Christmassy even?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great for a holiday meal!

    M : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think Martha was the one who inspired most of us in a certain age category :) I love corn muffins and the dried cranberries and ginger sound wonderful in this recipe. Oh-oh. another cookbook I'm going to have to look into.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looking Great!! Can't wait to make these!
    One thing about the ingredients......you show mix in SUGAR.....if so , how much?
    Thank you Bonnie

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.