Friday, October 23, 2015

Pickled Radishes

The last farmers market of the season was Saturday.  I'll miss those fresh fruits and vegetables!!  With our move, we've been able to enjoy two days of the market--Tuesdays and Saturdays.


How cool is that tomato red truck?
They roll into the market and prepare stone-baked pizzas to order.
Delicious!!


How many picked-yesterday green beans does one need?
For us, about five big handfuls for the week.


Leeks made several appearances on our table.
Braising was best.


Thankfully these autumn squash keep well.


During my spring visit to New England, I was introduced to Tallulah's Taco in Providence, RI.  The small restaurant is in an old residential area.  There is inside seating for a few.  On the day we were there, it was nice enough to sit at an outside table and enjoy a variety of the best tacos I've had.  One of the condiments was pickled radishes.  Those radishes have been on my mind ever since and I've tried several times to duplicate them.

Finally!
At least I've come close this time.  I think the rice vinegar is the key.



Linda--you know, my favorite farmer--had lovely ruby red and daikon radishes on Saturday and I came home with a bunch of each.

Pickled Radishes

2 bunches of crisp radishes, sliced fairly thin
red pepper flakes to taste
1/2 cup rice vinegar
1/2 cup water
1 1/2 Tbsp honey
1 tsp kosher salt


1.  Place the sliced radishes into a glass container and sprinkle with the red pepper flakes.
2.  Place the rest of the ingredients in a microwave container.  Microwave on high for 1 minute, stir and microwave another 30 seconds.
3.  Pour over the radishes, cover the jar and cool on the counter.
4.  Chill and enjoy on tacos, salads or on a condiment plate.

ENJOY!

13 comments:

  1. What a lovely Farmers Market Bonnie. I can't believe how pretty the leeks are. I know a special someone who would go crazy over your pickled radishes.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the truck and the market Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think one of our markets are open till early
    November.
    Mr. Ken would love these, may have to make
    them for him.

    M : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use apple cider vinegar for my pickled radishes, and I actually love how they turn pink the longer they sit!

    http://www.mybizzykitchen.com/2014/08/04/pickled-radishes-and-still-waiting/

    Aw, that link makes me sad - I had left Tony at Mayo all by himself - still kicking myself that I didn't stay that whole, time, but don't they say that hind sight is 20/20?

    Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is the perfect truck for hauling produce to the farmer market. The produce looks good. It seems impossible that its season is already over.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The addition of honey is different! Sounds good-enjoy:@)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our little farmer's market will end in another week. I will miss it. My grandmother made the best pickled radishes. Maybe I'll give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our farmers' market stays open until mid November if you're willing to brave the weather! Those radishes sounds like something I'd love! I've trying growing radishes twice without good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bonnie...just had to smile at your "use up leftover pumpkin" comment on my post today. You are so right! I probably would never had made these if I hadn't had some pumpkin left over in the fridge! :)
    That fire truck is wonderful! Such fun to see and what a great farmer's market. Those leeks are gorgeous. Your pickled radishes are a great idea and so easy to make. Super post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am going to miss all our fresh fruits and vegetables but the market stays open until early December I think. Pickled radishes sounds great and your photos are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your farmers' market looks lovely. We have a nice one in the warmer weather, but it's getting a little chilly for one now. Don't you love when you recreate something that you tried somewhere else?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Our farmers markets at finished for the season. Colorado corn, cantaloups and peaches were our favorite picks this year. I've always liked radishes but never had one pickled. I'm intrigued!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.