Sunday, December 20, 2015

Christmas Stollen

After a busy week of Christmas celebrations, I gave Saturday over to baking and wrapping presents.  It was about time although the kitchen counter is filled with delicious cookies, candies and other goodies from the kitchens of my talented and generous friends.

This stollen has been a favorite since the mid-1980s.  It's from the Century of Success Cookbook put out by Gold Medal Flour.  If my memory serves me well (sometimes it doesn't), it took a good number of proofs of purchase to obtain it.  Every recipe I've tried (they are marked by pages smudged and worn) has been delicious.

This stollen is started one day and finished the next.  If you get up in time to shape it and let it rise, it can be hot from the oven for breakfast.  I have always made it ahead and frozen the loaves--even easier and just as delicious!!

The ingredients are simple so you have time to put it on your holiday baking list.  The loaves make welcome gifts as well.



Christmas Stollen

1 pkg active dry yeast
3/4 cup warm water (105 to 115 degrees)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
3 eggs
1 egg, separated
(Total of 4 eggs with 1 separated)
1/2 cup butter, softened
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup chopped blanched almonds
1/4 cup chopped candied citrus peel
1/4 cup raisins 
1 tbsp grated lemon peel
Another bit of butter (1/4 cup for spreading on shaped stollen before baking) softened
1 tbsp water

1.  Dissolve yeast in 3/4 cup warm water in large mixer bowl.  Beat in the sugar, salt, eggs, egg yolk, 1/2 cup margarine and 1 3/4 cups of the flour on medium speed, scraping the bowl occasionally, for ten minutes.  Stir in the remaining flour, the almonds, fruit and lemon peel.  Scrape batter down from the sides of the bowl.  Cover and let rise in a warm place until double, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

2.  Punch batter down.  Cover tightly and store in refrigerator overnight.

3.  Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface and turn to coat with flour.  Divide into halves.  Press each half into an oval, 10 x 7 inches.  Spread with the butter and fold in half, lengthwise.  Press the folded edge down firmly.  Place on a greased cookie sheet large enough to hold both loaves (or use two smaller sheets).  Beat the remaining egg white with the tablespoon of water and brush over the ovals.  Let rise until double.  I do this in the oven with the light on.  It will take 45 to 60 minutes.  

4.  Remove the risen loaves from the oven.  Preheat the oven to 375.  Bake until golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes.  If the loaves brown too quickly, cover loosely with aluminum foil.  

5.  Cool and sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.

19 comments:

  1. Stollen is delicious, but I've never tried making it. It sounds like a great cookbook to have with this recipe being a perfect one to try. You make it sound easy, thanks! Take care

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never made one..looks great Bonnie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it looks good enough to get your stollen stolen... if i were close enough that is

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks wonderful, Bonnie. Perfect for the holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I buy Stollenn from Denver's Christkindl Market every year, but I'd love to try making this one, Bonnie! Maybe after the Christmas rush is over. A sweet bread like this is nice to eat any time of the year. Have a very Merry Christmas and a healthy and joyous New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I buy Stollenn from Denver's Christkindl Market every year, but I'd love to try making this one, Bonnie! Maybe after the Christmas rush is over. A sweet bread like this is nice to eat any time of the year. Have a very Merry Christmas and a healthy and joyous New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love stollen is one of my favorite and this look wonderful Bonnie.
    Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love stollen is one of my favorite and this look wonderful Bonnie.
    Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I confess to already buying several of Trader Joe's Panettone and eating far too much of it, but I am going to make this stollen, too. Thank you, as always, for your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was playing with Stollen this weekend too, only I tried to adapt it to a breadmaker recipe... It turned out nowhere as pretty as yours! Merry Christmas Week-enjoy:@)

    ReplyDelete
  11. My Dad used to make that when I was growing up - he's been gone 17 years, and hadn't thought about it in ages - thanks for the memory Bonnie!

    Hope you have a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Bonnie, This brought back memories of my sister-in-law (who is no longer on this earth).. She used to make Stollen--and share it will all of us in the family... Haven't had any in years and years.

    Merry Christmas.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  13. This recipe does bring back memories of years gone by. I am hardly baking at all this Christmas, what a change for me.
    Wishing you a merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is one of Mr. Ken's favorite
    things about Christmas.

    Thanks, for this easy sounding recipe!

    Merry Christmas to you and your family.

    M : )

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks fabulous Bonnie. Merry Christmas and happy new year to you and the Baker.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love good, old recipes that are tried and true. This one sounds wonderful! Merry Christmas to you and The Baker, Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Here is something I have never made. In fact, I don't even know anyone who has. It looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Here is something I have never made. In fact, I don't even know anyone who has. It looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.