Saturday, December 12, 2015

Marinated Spicy Olives

I have loved olives since I was a little girl.  Back then, as far as I know, there were only the green olives with pimento, green olives with a tiny onion (cocktail olives) and deep purple "ripe" olives.  They all came from a can.

Today, the three grocery stores I use the most (Strack and Van Til and Whole Foods) have olive bars where one can dip out, mix and match.  I tend to dip out the tried and true Kalamata (Greek black) and Manzanilla (Spanish green).  Then I add the small French green Picholines and the French black Nicoise.  Once marinated (recipe below), they make a delicious addition to an antipasti offering and pair well with many cheeses and sausages.  Put into a pretty jar, they make a perfect hostess gift.



Marinated Spicy Olives

2 cups olives, mixed


1/2 lemon, thinly sliced
3/4 cup good olive oil
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried red pepper flakes or to taste
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper

1.  Place the olives and the lemon slices in a container with a tight-fitting lid.

2.  In a small saucepan over low to medium heat, combine the olive oil, oregano, red pepper flakes and black pepper.  Bring just to a slight simmer.  Pour over the olives.  They should be covered so add enough more oil to do so.

3.  Cover and let stand at room temperature for four hours.  Then refrigerate for at least two days up to two months.


4.  Serve at room temperature

8 comments:

  1. and if someone doesn't want to eat those olives they make a beautiful decoration. i love olives, the old kind from the grocery. i just tried last week the big green and the black from the dip your own display and they were really good

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mouth is watering. I too have loved olives, though I seem to remember black olives when I was a kid--with a pit in them. And of course the green ones with "Santa in the chimney." :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how I'd love to receive a jar of these gems:@)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonnie these sounds and look delicious!!!
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh me too I loved when my parents entertained..always a jar of pimiento stuffed green olives.I think I could have eaten the whole jar.I loved the pickled baby onions too..so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful idea, Bonnie! We love olives and I like to put them out as part of a cheese or meat platter too. I'm going to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this recipe and the way they look in the jar! Thanks for your expertise!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.