Monday, May 16, 2016

Broccoli Soup for a Cold Spring Day(s)

I really find dwelling on the weather tiresome at times.  This is not one of those times!  We've had rain, rain and more rain.  Along with the rain, the wind whipped down from the north (at least that's my weather report) and chilled us to the bone.  Heeding my mother's long-time advice of not planting outside before Mother's Day, I waited,  putting out pots of newly started herbs last week only to drag them into the house and garage at night.  The porch furniture is out but not us!

Warm weather will come!  In the meantime, this mid-May bowl of broccoli soup hit the spot!  If you are still chilled, I hope you'll prepare yourself a bowl.



Broccoli Soup 

Broccoli, about 1 pound, separated into florets with stems peeled and rough chopped
1 medium potato, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
1 medium onion, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
2 cloves garlic, peeled and cut in half
1 quart of good chicken or vegetable stock (I used chicken)
Salt and Pepper
Half and Half, about 1/4 cup

Put all ingredients, except salt, pepper and half and half, into a large pot, bring to a slight boil.  Lower heat, cover and simmer until the vegetables are soft.  Salt and pepper to taste. Puree with an immersion blender (or regular blender/food processor).  If you have an immersion blender (I don't know what I did without one), you can puree it right in the pot and cleanup is a breeze!  Add half and half to taste.

ENJOY!

18 comments:

  1. Same here..except it's SNOWING now:(
    Yes still soup season!
    I like my soup this way..not with a ton of cheese in it..defetats the purpose:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The same weather is here right now, Bonnie. It's a perfect hot soup day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is chilly here for this time of year and rain is arriving in the night supposedly for the next week. I love reading a recipe on the blog and having ingredients on hand and thinking "I will make this tonight." We do love broccoli in all ways. My DIL gave me an immersion blender last year and I just love it. Hope you all dry out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my favorites! It's still cool in Philly too, middle of May and I don't even have the screens in my windows! Here's hoping for some nice weather soon:@)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks a great soup ...

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have even had cool days and nights, here in the south, the last few days. The soup looks like the perfect remedy for this cool snap. Have a wonderful weekend! Hugs, Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Soup sounds good. It is chilly here in Virginia too. I actually turned on my heat for a little bit yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chilly here too...I'm trying not to complain since I know hot weather will be here soon enough! That soup would be perfect. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Most everyone up north had a mild winter but your spring just won't arrive in earnest. I guess you will just go on to summer…wish I could share some of our warmth with you. I think you soup is perfect for your cold spring weather.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks really good! I love broccoli soup. We have had rain almost every day for the last two weeks! And it is so cold today!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is really cold again tonight ... we had stew. But your soups looks perfect, too.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  12. We've had the rain too. Couldn't get a drop for awhile
    and now the faucet won't shut off!

    Soups is comfort food on a chilly day.

    here's hoping for warmer weather.

    M : )

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think better weather is on the horizon, Bonnie! No matter what temperature or time of year I know I would love this soup.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Soup looks good! I'm sad that soup weather is over here in the Bay Area, unless I make gazpacho ahahah. We are suppose to get rain this Saturday, after two days of heat. Then I heard the weather guy say that there might be a storm brewing for the first week of June!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hear you, one of these days it will warm up and I can plant some flowers before summer is over. -) Your soup sounds delicious, perfect for this weather.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yummy! I love soups!!! Want to pop over to day thank you for your kind words too!
    Hugs...
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  17. Even though it was a chilly spring, the heat is just now coming. I'd still like a bowl of your soup, no matter what the temperature!
    Hope you're doing well,
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh how I wish we would have had a cooler spring. I really enjoy cooler weather and living in Florida this can be more of a challenge. I like the broccoli soup. Definitely will keep you arm.
    Sending Florida sunshine your way!

    Velva

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.