Saturday, September 10, 2016

Cucumber Soup

The calendar says two more weeks of summer.  Already the shadows grow longer.  The days are taking on a golden light.  I will be happy to welcome fall.  However, two weeks is plenty of time to enjoy this chilled cucumber soup.  And, if we're lucky, an "Indian Summer" would be a perfect time to serve it more than once.

I invited a few ladies for lunch this week and one, my friend Jane, offered to bring chilled cucumber soup.  Oh my, it was delicious!  I had just harvested the last of the nasturtiums the day before and had enough blossoms to add to each serving.  We've enjoyed their peppery addition to salads all summer.

Most of the blooming plants were taking a rest the day of the lunch so I asked The Baker to gather up some herbs for the table--parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme would be good.  He clipped them and brought them in to the vase that I'd put out.  Just before the ladies arrived, I took a look at the arrangement and found parsley, sage, rosemary and OREGANO!!  I guess he had forgotten the words
to Scarborough Fair.

NOTE:  The four of us ladies were a little surprised to find that our luncheon had been a four-hour affair!!



Cucumber Soup

Ingredients

1/2 medium red onion, small dice (1 cup)
1Tbsp Champaigne vinegar
2 lbs. European cucumber, peeled and seeded
Salt and pepper
1/2 lb. green grapes (1 1/2 cups)
1 c. plain organic yogurt (whole milk)
1/4 c. coarsely chopped fresh mint
6-8 mint leaves, bundled and thinly sliced for garnish

Preparation

Bring small pot of water to a boil.

Drop in the onions for 20 seconds, drain and toss in small bowl with vinegar,
      set aside.

Finely dice 1/2 of the cucumber, season with pinch of salt and pepper and 
      set aside.

Coarsely chop remaining cucumber and place in blender; add grapes, yogurt, chopped mint, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pinch of pepper and puree until completely smooth - about 5 minutes. 

Transfer to large container, stir in diced cucumbers and onion and chill for at least 30 minutes or overnight.

Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Serve in chilled bowls or wine glasses.

Garnish with sliced mint and if you're lucky enough to have them, a single edible nasturtium!

ENJOY!

9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hari ini saya ingin mengunkapkan tentang perjalanan hidup saya,karna masalah ekonomi saya selalu dililit hutang bahkan perusahaan yang dulunya saya pernah bagun kini semuanya akan disitah oleh pihak bank,saya sudah berusaha kesana kemari untuk mencari uang agar perusahaan saya tidak jadi disitah oleh pihak bank dan akhirnya saya nekat untuk mendatangi paranormal yang terkenal bahkan saya pernah mengikuti penggandaan uang dimaskanjeng dan itupun juga tidak ada hasil yang memuaskan dan saya hampir putus asa,,akhirnya ketidak segajaan saya mendengar cerita orang orang bahwa ada paranormal yang terkenal bisa mengeluarkan uang ghaib atau sejenisnya pesugihan putih yang namanya Mbah Rawa Gumpala,,,akhirnya saya mencoba menhubungi beliau dan alhamdulillah dengan senan hati beliau mau membantu saya untuk mengeluarkan pesugihan uang ghaibnya sebesar 10 M saya sangat bersyukur dan berterimakasih banyak kepada Mbah Rawa Gumpala berkat bantuannya semua masalah saya bisa teratasi dan semua hutang2 saya juga sudah pada lunas semua,,bagi anda yang ingin seperti saya dan ingin dibabtu sama Mbah silahkan hubungi 085 316 106 111 saya sengaja menulis pesan ini dan mempostin di semua tempat agar anda semua tau kalau ada paranormal yang bisah dipercaya dan bisa diandalkan,bagi teman teman yang menemukan situs ini tolong disebar luaskan agar orang orang juga bisa tau klau ada dukun sakti yg bisa membantuh mengatasi semua masalah anda1.untuk lebih lengkapnya buka saja blok Mbah karna didalam bloknya semuanya sudah dijelaskan PESUGIHAN DANA GHAIB TANPA TUMBAL

      Delete
  2. the soup sounds great to me and looks good to. I have never had cucumber soup but I do love them... just about any way they can be used, or just peeled and eaten

    ReplyDelete
  3. How beautiful! I try to go out every day, to make the most of the end of summer. I hate to see it go, along with the end of the light. Sounds like you have a wonderful herb garden!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what beautiful and delicious soup dear !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This soup sounds so unique, Bonnie. I love the addition of a colorful nasturtium flower!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow the soup looks good and you photographed it so beautifully. I think I will try it. I was with a friend today who I was with on 9-11. My mom was having cataract surgery and she was a nurse there. They asked me to "man" the desk while the staff went into a crisis-ready meeting. I watched cars whizzing past the windows as the city rapidly emptied of workers. How our lives changed that day. May the memory never dim.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a tasty soup-enjoy the last of summer:@)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds almost like the cucumber salad I had for lunch today :) I have planted a very productive cucumber plant this year that is giving me more cukes than I know how to handle...slight pun intended with my still-healing wrist :) If the weather stays nice for a while I'll definitely be trying this! You must have been having fun during lunch!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.