Saturday, October 29, 2016

Candied Citrus Peel

This is the time of year that I start saving orange and grapefruit peels to candy.  It goes into cookies and cakes.  There's always a tin filled to enjoy with tea.  Tied up in cellophane bags, it is perfect for small gifts to friends and some family members.  My boys would rather find a bag of coals in their stockings than candied fruit peel!!  I guess I didn't introduce them to the treat soon enough.

In case you are an aficionado, here's my tried and true recipe.



Candied Citrus Peel

3 large navel oranges, well scrubbed
1 cup sugar
1 cup water

Carefully remove the peel from the oranges.  This is easier if you cut through the peel in four sections.

Cut the four sections of peel into eight sections and, with a sharp knife, cut away as much of the white pith as possible.

Cut the eight sections into pieces approximately 2 1/2 inches by 1/4 inches.  This is entirely up to you.  You may even dice them depending on how you'll use them.

Put into a pan and cover with cold water.  Bring to a boil and gently simmer for five minutes.  Drain and repeat the process once.  This gets rid of some of the bitterness.  I happen to like the bitterness and sometimes skip this step altogether. 

Place the water and sugar in a heavy saucepan and heat to dissolve the sugar.  When dissolved, bring to a boil and add the orange peel.  Simmer for approximately 45 minutes, uncovered,  or until the peel becomes translucent.    

Remove from heat, drain, and spread onto a baking sheet lined with parchment.  Allow to cool slightly before dredging in sugar to just coat.  Place back on the parchment and allow to dry at room temperature overnight.  Place in an airtight container.  This keeps for a very long time--months if you can refrain from eating them.

If you would like a real treat, dip the peels into melted chocolate to coat about an inch.

ENJOY

11 comments:

  1. It is so beautiful! And I love your pretty tin. How have you been?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds wonderful! I'm trying this. It would make a wonderful garnish atop a chocolate cake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know that I've ever tried candied orange peel, but it sounds tasty. I bet my hubby would love it dipped in chocolate- he loves the combination.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very timely, I planned to make some for Christmas bread this year! Does yours stay somewhat moist and pliable or get totally dry? Not sure how the finished peel should be, thanks:@)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never even heard of this much less eaten any. I would try one if I had access but this sounds to much like the dreaded 'cooking' so will not be trying it. they look beautiful and I bet the smell is good while cooking.. I love fruit cake, wonder is they could be considered candied for that. with the chocolate I could eat anything. I just came from Mildred and she had watermelon rind pickles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is something I have yet to try, Bonnie! We love eating fresh citrus in the fall and winter so I need to start saving some rinds!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing your recipe. Our area of Florida is where most of the citrus in the state is grown and I can't wait to try your candied citrus peel.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm an orange peel fan, too. I'd love to make it, but I'm sure I would eat the whole batch before I could share them with anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I print this recipeBonnie my mom loves candied citrus !
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.