Friday, October 14, 2016

Wild Mushroom Soup

After an early fall of moderate temperatures and sunny days, we got a heavy rain earlier in the week and the temperature fell thirty degrees overnight.  While I like fall and winter (really, I do), I don't like jackets and coats--especially coats.  It was time to organize them into a more convenient space though.  But first, I made soup.  After hunting and gathering the dried wild mushrooms from Williams-Sonoma, the rest was easy.  Delicious!

So far the fall color is slow in coming.  The large maple out back has one small area of red showing.  The cooler temperatures should tease more color out soon.  



Wild Mushroom Soup

1/2 cup of wild rice
2 cups of boiling water
1/4 tsp salt

1.  Rinse the wild rice and drain.  Place the rice into a pan and add the two cups of boiling water and the salt.  Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to low.  Cover and cook without stirring for 40 minutes or until all the water is absorbed.  Keeping the pot covered, remove it from the heat and set aside to cool.

1/2 ounce of dried wild mushrooms
1 cup of boiling water
8 ounces of fresh cremini mushrooms, cleaned and sliced

2.  Place the dried mushrooms in a bowl and pour the boiling water over.  Let stand for 30 minutes.  Drain, reserving the liquid.  Strain the liquid thorough a fine strainer and set aside.

2 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 medium onion, chopped
1 stalk of celery chopped
1/2 cup of dry white wine
3 cups of chicken stock
1/2 cup of heavy cream or half and half

3.  Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat.  Stir in the onion and celery and saute, stirring from time to time, until they are soft, about 10 minutes.  Raise the heat to high and stir in the wine and cook until the wine reduces to about 1/4 of a cup.  This will take about 5 minutes.

4.  Add all of the mushrooms and saute over medium heat until they are softened, about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

5.  Raise the heat to high and add the stock and the reserved mushroom liquid and bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat to medium and cook, uncovered, 20 minutes more.

6.  Add the wild rice and the cream or half and half and simmer for another five minutes.

ENJOY!

11 comments:

  1. This soup looks like some real goodness ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  2. Missing you, It's been awhile! This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're cool then hot, cool now and back into the 80's next week? Enjoy your soup:@)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm my mouth is watering. I love the big chunky mushrooms in there. So warming. Perfect for such a rude drop in temperature!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you hunt and gather mushrooms, Bonnie. That temperature drop was something, wasn't it! This sounds like such a wonderful recipe and one I'm going to try soon. Time to start hunting and gathering :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw this on fb and have a similar one but I will combine yours and mine. I love this soup and thanks for the reminder. So happy that "soup season" has arrived.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's the best way to hunt and gather mushrooms! We had a short burst of fall weather, but today it was 80 degrees. It'll be cold soon enough, though, and this soup looks like a good way to warm up from the inside. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Honestly Bonnie, I had to laugh! I have been dreaming about mushroom soup....and was going to make Ina's recipe in a week or so. This looks fabulous, so will try yours. I remember foraging for morels in Michigan in the spring as a child. We'd always find them in an apple orchard nearby.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.