Tuesday, July 6, 2010

A Garden Visit

"My green thumb came only as a result of the mistakes I made while learning to see things from the plant's point of view."

H. Fred Ale

Good morning friends. I thought I'd take you for an early morning stroll in my little hidden garden. It's mostly green and white with a few pops of color here and there. I've brewed a pot of coffee. Grab a cup and come along. I'm happy to have you visit.



Along the garden path.

To the left is my "friendship garden". The plants are all from the gardens of various friends. There's ornamental ginger, autumn sedum, a ground cover that has a sweet blue flower with dark green leaves (I don't know the name), variegated geraniums and a lovely hosta.


Here we are on the other side of the "friendship garden" and the hosta. If you click and look closely, you'll see the flower spikes getting ready to burst forth in purple bloom.



The hydrangea tree is loaded with creamy white blossoms that are almost fully open. They'll turn a rusty salmon color in the fall and will dry nicely. In the summer, they drape over and through the fence pickets.


A little pop of color under the eight foot tall hydrangea bush (that is supposed to be only four foot tall). Just the right amount of sun and shade here.


The "swimming hole" is visited by many birds during the day. I think they realize that the pineapple design means they are welcome in this garden.


I like to think of my garden as a "nature cathedral" and added a gargoyle. Though not as impressive as those guarding the National Cathedral, he's an interesting fellow (assuming that gargoyles are of the masculine gender).

I'm so glad you stopped by. Next time we'll sit on the front porch.

18 comments:

  1. I enjoyed a walk through the "cathedral."

    ReplyDelete
  2. can't wait for the front porch visit. I love gardens but love sitting on a porch even more. your garden is lovely. my mother had bright blue hydrangea, giant bushes taller than my head covered the whole back of our house in Savannah GA. daddy used to put metal shavings in the dirt under them to turn them a brighter blue. the picket fence is wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful and peaceful. None of this would stand up in our heat for sure. Very refreshing.
    Hugs,
    Karen
    Ladybug Creek

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the garden tour but I especially loved the quote with which you began your post. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a delightful garden. I'm such a horrible gardener, and I always admire what people can do with plants.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How beautiful your garden is...I love your friendship garden. I've had many friends give me cuttings through the years-I love your idea of keeping them all together!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now this is just my cup of tea!! So much to see and love. I'm probably focused on different things than most others are. I love the white picket fence, so brilliant and clean and days-gone-by looking. And my favorite is the bird bath section, because I love bird baths and gazing balls, you have both there. The small pink flowers look like primroses. I can't wait for the porch, that sounds even better!! I wish we had a porch!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your garden pics. Sitting outside in serene places like this always helps me to clear my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely. I enjoyed the walk! Carla

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your hidden garden is just lovely. I especially love the bird bath, gazing ball, and the gargoyle...I could get lost there if I had a chair, a book, and something to munch on...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your garden 'cathedral' is wonderful--including the gargoyle.. Love your hosta... I have some hota also in several places around my yard. Mine has already bloomed.

    We're extremely hot down here now ---and DRY. George and I had to go out early this morning and water the yard/plants/flowers, etc. Our Rhododendron leaves are even turning yellow because of the heat and drought... NO FUN...

    Take care---and thanks for that cup of coffee. It was delicious --but the tour was even better!!!
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very nice, thinks for the tour of your yard.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the walk around the garden--it's beautiful!

    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Bonnie! I loved walking through your wonderful garden! Beautiful plants and I love that little gargoyle!
    I have inspired you? Oh, I'm just thrilled. Yes, do that your silverware chest out of the drawer and pop it upon a table or chest and decorate - go to town! :)
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Everything looks so perfect. It was a beautiful stroll --

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous!! I post pictures of my garden every Tuesday, it would be great if you did too. I'd love to see how your garden grows and changes.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That was a lovely walk through your hidden gardens. Now that I'm a Florida condo dweller, I really miss my spring and summer gardens in the north. Such fun to see yours!
    I'm also a big fan of gargoyles...what fun to put one in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I enjoyed the stroll. Your garden looks like a peaceful sanctuary.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.