Sunday, September 26, 2010

An Explanation


WAITING TO BE FILLED  


Now that I have your attention, there's a family story behind this goblet.  I can't prove the authenticity of the tale but my family is not given to embellishing the truth--much.

This lovely piece of crystal is Waterford.  The story is that a young(er) Queen E.  ordered a mega bunch of this style (which has no name known to me) for a little dinner party she was throwing for about a hundred (o.k., I made that part up) of her closest friends at the castle.  When they arrived and were unpacked, the queen noticed (according to the family story she must have been setting the table herself) that they were slightly off in the stem by (according to the family story) 1/8 of an inch.  This shortage apparently threw the entire place arrangement so off balance that she immediately returned them all to Waterford and used, instead, I know not what.  Perhaps she just used those cute little individual bottles of San Pelligrino.  I have!

As the family story goes, a family member was fortunate enough to have benefitted slightly (but not much because--as the story goes--they were still quite expensive) from this mistake and purchased oodles of them.  Out of the oodles, I have sixteen and my sister has sixteen.  We can, by sharing, host a sit down dinner party for thirty two.  Which, of course, we frequently do.  And, which you should believe because, as I've already pointed out, my family is not given to embellishing the truth--much.


19 comments:

  1. Who drank it? And the one behind is nearly full. And holding something beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nver, nver empty. It is a beautiful crystal glass which gives it an advantage. It is beautifully full.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But in this case, I think empty is a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am tired tonight . . . so it is empty, just like me. I am usually a glass half full girl. Stunning piece of crystal.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thirty two is a LOT of people! I don't embellish...much..either :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for my early morning laugh. love the story and the goblet is beautiful. i love cut glass and this one is to die for. 32 is super. thanks for sharing your 100 percent true story with us

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sixteen of those lovely goblets - aren't you a lucky person. I love Waterford and treasure the few pieces I have.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great story! I love my Waterford lovingly collected over the years. And how great to have 32 matching goblets!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, that is beautiful! Love the story, too! =)

    Kelly's baked chicken was WONDERFUL! We licked our lips over every last bite last night! Thanks so much, Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I believe every word you utter. The ones you write are suspect :-). The crystal is, of course, gorgeous, but what is equally wonderful is how clearly your new camera was able to capture all its facets without reflection. What lenses did you decide on? I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just read your post on hosting a tea party and found it very funny. I also love your Waterford goblets, they are lovely. We bought two beautiful crystal flutes in St Petersburg, Russia, which were a replica of the Tsar’s crystal set. They were for my daughter’s wedding, when toasting with her groom. I never thought of taking their pictures (the crystal that is, I took a lot of picture of the wedding…) so next time I go to Nashville and see her, I’ll take a picture. (I mean of the crystal again, you have to excuse me, English is not my first language…) Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  12. haaahhhaa...I love this story..and, of course, the goblet..Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well----who cares whether it is true or not... It's a great story to tell---and the goblets are GORGEOUS.

    I'm catching up on blogs today ---and have caught up on yours. Your chicken breasts in the next post look delicious...

    AND--I'm glad that you are enjoying your new camera. My only rule is to make things look the best they can look --without distorting the photos. Some people make their photos look FAKE.... I'm sure you won't do that.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  14. The goblets are lovely, but I have to tell you that I'm liking your aqua jar with the floral stem in it :-) pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful family story, whether true or embellished a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cute story and I believe every word ;)

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.