Monday, June 13, 2011

Gazpacho in Fond du Lac

Come along and see what else  I was up to on my blogging break.  After a visit with my sisters and starting the new library, I packed up the car and headed north to Fond du Lac, Wisconsin for a visit with my friend Barbara.  We've been trading June visits since we met in Charleston, S.C. when our boys were starting second grade.

The traffic around Chicago and Milwaukee was with me and I arrived in time to have a nice lunch on the back porch.


A pasta dish with the sauce suggested on one of your blogs.  Barbara wasn't sure which.  It was a simple concoction of pesto, sweet red peppers and goat cheese heated together in the oven and spooned over ziti.  It was very good.  Please note the two pitchers of tea--one sweetened for this true child of the south!



Overlooking part of the back garden and to the farm field beyond.


A beautiful iris bouquet for the kitchen.


Barbara's famous country breakfast scramble, that I look forward to each visit, started off the next morning just right.  It fortified us for a day of crafting.



An initial (by Barbara) for me to tuck into a book shelf or on a dresser.


I made this initial pillow--with a big assist from Barbara.

Barbara made one of the best gazpachos that I've ever tasted.  It just might become the star in my gazpacho repertoire!  Best of all, she said I could share the recipe.


Barbara's Gazpacho

6 tomatoes, peeled, seeded and quartered
1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and quartered
1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and quartered
1 medium onion cut into 8 wedges
1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and quartered
1 clove garlic, halved
1 tsp lime zest
2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1 Tbsp olive oil
3 cups tomato juice
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground red pepper

1.  In the bowl of a food processor, process the first ten ingredients until desired smoothness.  Pour into a large bowl and add the tomato juice, salt and pepper.  Cover and chill.

2.  Serve in bowls or mugs.

ENJOY!

25 comments:

  1. What a wonderful blog break! I love girlfriend time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a great time.. and the cold soup looks yummy

    Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like an absolutely wonderful blog break and that gazapcho is incredible. I can just taste all the flavors going on in there! Amazing. So glad your back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you had a great time! Fun crafts and good food:@)

    ReplyDelete
  5. the photos are really good and i want some of yur sweat tea. thanks for taking us with you on your break. i am getting the feeling you had a real good time

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bonnie,

    Love the look of the blog! I wish my husband would eat gazpacho. I only have it when we go out!

    Sounds like you had a good trip. I love crafting with friends. My knitting friend is coming this weekend so maybe I can turn the heel on my sock that I have been working on for way too long!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing this recipe; it looks so good. What a beautiful flower garden your friend has!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun blog break. It's always marvelous getting together with dear friends. I love crafts too and there always was more interest in crafts up north than I've found in Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job on the monogrammed pillow! Sounds like a wonderful visit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for coming to look at my quilts. I love gazpacho and Fond du Lac is a lovely place. We spent 12 years in Wisconsin and all my kids were born there. We enjoyed living in Wisconsin a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like you had a wonderful time with your friend. Isn't it wonderful to share crafting and cooking with somebody special!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great visit - with fabulous food! How lovely. The soup looks and sounds delicious - the next time the temp gets in the 90's Im making this
    THanks!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  13. Don't even get me started on the construction around Milwaukee - especially the airport area! Not fun! I'm so glad the traffic cooperated for your trip to Fond du Lac, though.

    Your friend has a beautiful yard and I'm so glad you've kept up your friendship over the years.

    Barbara's gazpacho looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh...how convenient Bonnie...lunch just happened to be waiting around for you...hmmm...well planned my dear LOL.
    How sweet of your friend to tend to your needs...I love iced tea ;o)

    Pillow seems really well put together...very charming indeed.

    Believe it or not, I've never had Gazpacho...it just may be time to change that ;o)

    Have a great day,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't head gazpacho in years. I am just going to have to make some with Summer's tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks like a wonderful time! And the food! Nice projects too. And you drove right through my homeland.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Everything looks so wonderful and special!! Her garden is beautiful and so is her table. Love the H and the pillow!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The food and the company both sound delightful. I'm struck by the truth in that old saw, "New friends are silver, but old friends are gold." This sounds like a friendship that has the Midas touch. I hope you have a great day.Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks like a wonderful visit! We just got back from visiting my dad in St. John. The first night we were there (last Wednesday) you guys had one hell of a thunderstorm! We didn't get a wink of sleep that night!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Bonnie,

    I didn't make it over to the modern art wing. We kind of had a very limited time there unfortunately. For some reason, my dad and step mom thought the only thing to see in there that day was the Chegal windows. I kinda like them, they aren't my favorite of his work, but there are other cool things in there to see that were much more interesting.

    Doña Tomas is pretty special I must say, and I think the bar tender is better too ;)
    That thunderstorm was INSANE!! We don't get those much in California, and I couldn't believe how loud they were. My dad has an alarm to alert him that the power went out and the back up generator is on. This sounded like a car alarm, and it would go off every few minutes! So combined with the thunderstorm, that was a very sleepless night!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Whata an enchanting place; love that name... Fond du Lac. Looks like paradise and great food to make it better.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  22. Now, that's what I'd call a nice break!! Having great friends is one of life's greatest pleasures. So glad you were able to spend time with such a good friend (and WONDERFUL hostess!).

    Also glad that tree did not do more harm and that Andrew and Oliver were unharmed during the storm!! blessings ~ tanna

    I think the Roaringoke may be shortened to Rory (or Roary), but it is leading the pack for names. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh it looks like you took a wonderful break. I wish I could have gone too :-) And this soup? Perfect for a hot day in Austin. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Thank you for sharing your heart and this fantastic recipe. I'm hungry now!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Now that summer is here, SUPER idea of Gazpacho. Think I will make this for the weekend. I like trying different versions of favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  25. The soup looks yummy...slurp!!:)

    Dr.Sameena@

    http://www.myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.